Freeciv-2.5 art status

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
cazfi
Elite

Freeciv-2.5 art status

Post by cazfi »

Art required for freeciv-2.5 metaticket: patch #4420

- Migrants unit needed by civ2civ3 now exist in all distributed tilesets, but is missing from Amplio. We can probably copy it directly from Amplio2 to Amplio
- Of the three civ2civ3-specific wonders only Statue of Zeus has version in wonders-large (used by Amplio, Amplio2, and Cimpletoon) None has small version in buildings.png (used by Trident, Isotrident, Hex2t, and Isophex)
- No tileset has unit activity icon for "Convert", it uses "Connect" icon ("C") in all tilesets
- No tileset has unit activity icons distinguishing between road types being built. Amplio2 distinguish between building Fortress and Buoy
- Only Amplio2 & Cimpletoon have Inaccessible terrain gfx
- No tileset has upkeep icons above upkeep of 2
- Only Amplio2 & Cimpletoon have Maglev road type gfx
cazfi
Elite

Re: Freeciv-2.5 art status

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:Art required for freeciv-2.5 metaticket: patch #4420
As 2.5.0-RC1 approaches, we've got some progress on art tickets, as seen in "Tilesets / Art" section of the NEWS draft.

What is still missing (luckily mostly stuff we can live without, if needed):
- Editor icon for "roads" tool: bug #20536
- New activity icons. Fortress/Airbase/Buoy building activities have got their own icons (scaled down version of the base being built). Road/Railroad/Maglev building all still share the same 'R' icon. Unit 'Convert' activity has no icon of its own at all. bug #20032
- Inaccessible terrain is missing from Amplio, isotrident, isophex, and hex2t tilesets: patch #4160
- Upkeep icons for upkeep > 2 are missing. Even supplied rulesets have a case of units having food upkeep of 3 (at the moment - that might change): patch #4486
- Maglev is missing from isotrident, isophex, and hex2t: patch #5013
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

cazfi wrote:New activity icons. Fortress/Airbase/Buoy building activities have got their own icons (scaled down version of the base being built). Road/Railroad/Maglev building all still share the same 'R' icon. Unit 'Convert' activity has no icon of its own at all. bug #20032
The old A is free for Railroad. With that players can see what's actually happening for railroads (R or A). In theory I'd like A for multiple activities, but that would require code to show this state, instead of showing the activity of the worker or engineer on top of the stack.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:Even supplied rulesets have a case of units having food upkeep of 3 (at the moment - that might change): patch #4486
It won't change. ( bug #23214 )

So icon for "food upkeep of 3" would be needed even for supplied rulesets.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Looking just the tickets affecting amplio2 (the default tileset) users this time. This includes tickets specific to amplio2, and those common to all tilesets, or any subset where amplio2 is included. This list is looking quite good already, thanks To GriffonSpade's work:

- patch #4486: Unit upkeep icons for upkeep >2 in amplio2 : Ticket is already "Ready For Testing", i.e., waiting acceptance from the review
- patch #5756: Make Amplio2 maglevs more distinct : GriffonSpade has posted first draft to forums
- bug #20032: Many unit activities use same icons (amplio2) : AFAICT GriffonSpade has posted all the gfx needed for this. I just haven't picked it up yet, but waiting to get patch #4486 out of the way first
- bug #20536: Missing icon for roads in editor : This is the only ticket having no progress at all
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

There's a new findings about missing (distinct) gfx

- patch #5805: Government icons for civ2civ3 governments Tribal and Federation
- patch #5806: Distinct gfx for the civ2civ3 "Internet" wonder
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Attached screenshot about my missing gfx spreadsheet.

Note that anything listed as implemented is already committed - it does not list things that are still being processed. That explains why some things GriffonSpade has already made are still marked missing in it.
Attachments
gfxstatus-08-Feb-15.png
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

It's practically too late to get any gfx in before 2.5.0-RC1, but there will be 2.5.1. This time I list still open 2.5 tickets affecting Trident users

- patch #5806: Distinct gfx for the civ2civ3 "Internet" wonder (Trident uses small buildings set)
- patch #5771: Full upkeep icons set
- patch #5789: Activity icons for each road and base types
- patch #5848: Convert activity icon

Optional: Fort/Outpost & Airstrip base gfx
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

So we've practically for Amplio2, Cimpletoon, and Trident covered. That leaves isotrident, hex2t, and isophex. Too bad we have no way to tell how many people actually use those - we would have more important things to do than work on something that nobody ever uses... Especially when S2_6 will provide the bigger hex tilesets, I don't think we need two low-end hex tilesets. What makes isohex so different from hex that we need to provide tileset for both alternatives?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

cazfi wrote:So we've practically for Amplio2, Cimpletoon, and Trident covered. That leaves isotrident, hex2t, and isophex. Too bad we have no way to tell how many people actually use those - we would have more important things to do than work on something that nobody ever uses... Especially when S2_6 will provide the bigger hex tilesets, I don't think we need two low-end hex tilesets. What makes isohex so different from hex that we need to provide tileset for both alternatives?
Well, I personally use isotrident or isophex sometimes because they are smaller - that allows me to fit more on the screen at once and I don't have to scroll around as much all the time. Also, I pretty much always play with an iso map, but on the occasion that I don't, I use the non-iso tilesets too.
Of course, I don't represent the whole freeciv community, but I guess there are other people like me out there that like using the smaller tilesets from time to time.
~ AVL