GUI Details

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
The Square Cow
Veteran

Re: GUI Details

Post by The Square Cow »

I have been using 30 Milli, which is too fast to see what happens easily, but doesn't slow the client down much a all. If the movement is simple like auto-exploring, then it is understandable, but a war front can be hard to understand as there are many units.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Perhaps something like an Attack_Speed or Center_Delay option is needed, specifically so that the screen can have time to center before an attack goes off, so that it can actually be watched?
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

30 Milli? When Cazfi says that 100 is too fast? I'm getting lost in this.

@Griffon: I tought (think) that those three parameters should replace the options you suggest.

OK: Let's see what everybody sets down. Maybe there's a difference between Web- and NonWeb- playing, but it should not be too much of Rocket science to find a plausible and pleaseable compromise, ain't it?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

It depends on what you want. And that's why it's user option. If you want to see the unit movements, you have to take the time to watch them. I usually choose not to see them at later stages of the game when there's a lot of units moving - animations can run many minutes if you get an shared vision from an AI player moving huge armies via railroads.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Ah jeez, that IS already an option. I hadn't realized that there were all 3! Movement, Centering, and Combat all have separate timers. Here, I was thinking there was just a global animation timer. Yes, I'd suggest leaving movement and center VERY low, but have combat be around 50(Or more.), so you can see what's fighting.

Centering is controlled in Game > Local Options > Interface with options for:
1) Center on Your Unit when it's their turn (In progress actions will not center)
2) Center on All Combat (That you can see)
3) Center on (Your Unit?) on New Turn
4) Center on City when popup is opened

If anything, I'd like to have an option to NOT center on advisor-controlled units. Isn't the point of autoexplore and autosettler so you don't have to deal with them every single turn? And having it flash between them makes me glad I'm not epileptic.
Ozor Mox

Post by Ozor Mox »

The settings I usually use are:

Unit movement animation time: 400ms
Mapview recentring time: 200ms
Combat animation step time: 50ms

I can't remember what the defaults are now, but I think I increase unit movement and combat animation time, and leave mapview recentring alone. This gives something similar to how Civ II works.

Yes, later in the game turns take longer because a lot of units tend to move around the map, but I want to know what is happening!
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Good! A useful post at last!
I shall Ozor's parameters next time around. But the combat setting seems a little fast.
We will see, we getting somewhere, aint'we? :)
Remember, I'm talking about Not-Web playing!
Ozor Mox

Post by Ozor Mox »

Yes, I'm also talking about the desktop client.

50ms seems fast for the combat animation but I think that is because it is each step (I guess that means each "hit" during combat, of which there will probably be several), rather than the whole animation. The unit movement time however is for the whole animation from tile to tile, as is the mapview recentring time.
The Square Cow
Veteran

Post by The Square Cow »

(I guess that means each "hit" during combat, of which there will probably be several)
Specifically, it should be at least 10 times each combat. (disregarding exceptional situations when high firepower units are fighting low-hp units.) (Also, assuming that I am correct in my assumption that this means per combat round) This would make a combat animation with Ozor's settings greater than 500ms. Sometimes as high as 1.5s, for example when two units with 20-hitpoints and 1-firepower fight with the result of the winner having 10 hit-points left.

Does this match your experience with your settings, Ozor?
Ozor Mox

Post by Ozor Mox »

The Square Cow wrote:
Does this match your experience with your settings, Ozor?
Yes that sounds about right. I think this along with centre map on combat roughly matches Civ II which was what I was going for, so that combat feels a bit more like an event.