Bubbling under: Wanted: Canal

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
cazfi
Elite

Bubbling under: Wanted: Canal

Post by cazfi »

This is not yet required for freeciv proper, but maybe some day. It would be nice to have the gfx. Custom ruleset "variant2" already would need this.

Canal is like type of river, but human made, and passable by ships.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Re: Bubbling under: Wanted: Canal

Post by GriffonSpade »

I've thought about this in the past, but a 'blue road' doesn't really cut it. Maybe a honeycomb like design(except when it's only from one direction or passing straight through the tile?) with a few crosshatches to represent locks? Also, this would need to be drawn over irrigation(and farmland), and still look good when both are present.

Though on the code side, you'd have to prevent off-road (off-river/canal?) jumping from road to city/native terrain that is not directly connected.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

First version done:
Connects with 4 Cardinal Directions
Does not connect to rivers (Might see how viable this is in the future)
Has ocean outlets
Runs alongside roads and railroads
canals.png
canals.png (7.83 KiB) Viewed 9344 times
I just tested the images as a direct replacement for rivers.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Another version, which is modified to connect to rivers. 2.6 supports differing road types connecting, correct? This would allow it to be like railroads over roads, but still with the canal attaching to the river on surrounding tiles.(Hopefully)
canals2.png
canals2.png (4.68 KiB) Viewed 9330 times
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Thanks. I've now created initial version of a tileset called "Deltasquare" that is meant to be used with Variant2 ruleset on square (not hex) based maps, and this canal gfx is there. The tileset is available for S2_6 and TRUNK with modpack installer, and it's maintained in https://github.com/cazfi/fcmodpacks