New nation has flag only if its called "aborigines"

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Euroic

New nation has flag only if its called "aborigines"

Post by Euroic »

So, after a lengthy trial-an-error process and thanks to some help, I managed to get my own new nation "Paris" up and fighting.
http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:How ... nation_%3F

Flags got me a headache but finally made it click by editing the flags and shields of the Aborigines nation.
So far so good. I'm now trying to clean my act a bit further : in my paris.ruleset, there is still the line

Code: Select all

flag="aborigines"
So I naturally changed it to

Code: Select all

flag="paris"
and renamed relevant files to paris(-shield)(-large).png

Low and behold, this won't do, and I'm back to the default flags (baby blue with three question marks).

I tried several variations therof, triple-checked everything and the rest, but the only way those new Paris flags show up in game is when it's called aborigines. Ain't that funny ?

Here is a recap of my setting :
I'm on Ubuntu 13.04
Version of Freeciv is 2.3

In ~/.freeciv/2.3/, I added default/nations.ruleset , to which I added paris.ruleset
In ~/.freeciv/2.3/ , I added nation/paris.ruleset (adapted from aborignes.ruleset)
In ~/.freeciv/2.3/ , I copied flags/aborigines(-shield)(-large).png and edited them with The Gimp to some parisian cred.

What did I miss ?

Thanks
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: New nation has flag only if its called "aborigines"

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

• data/misc/flags.spec
  • data/misc/shields.spec
  • data/misc/flags-large.spec
  • data/misc/shields-large.spec
~ AVL
Euroic

Post by Euroic »

Indeed, I had some glitch left in one of those files. Much better now, thank you so much ! :P
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

You're welcome :) I always like helping others out.
~ AVL
Ceres

Post by Ceres »

In fact, I had exactly the same problem just two days ago - I had looked at the .spec files, but since the first thing I saw was a list of the flag artists, I assumed they wouldn't contain any gameplay-relevant information :oops:
Is there a reason it doesn't just take the "flag" key from the ruleset and appends -large and -shield automatically (hard-coded) instead of using some extra lists to connect them?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Yes, there is a reason. If you check, for example, data/amplio2.tilespec, you'll find that it includes misc/flags-large.spec and misc/shields-large.spec. Other tilesets, like trident(I think) include misc/flags.spec and misc/shields.spec since they need smaller flags/shields. The game is desinged to be totally modifyable, and connecting every single sprite, be it an image file of its own or part of a bigger one, to a special key is required for that.
~ AVL
zohaariz

Post by zohaariz »

Thanks for the help worked it out :)