freeciv-web bugs

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
IZY5O

Re: freeciv-web bugs

Post by IZY5O »

AndreasR wrote: IZY5O: could you please check if you still get the "Nameless leader"-bug and the savegame-crashing-your-browser-bug?
Hi Andreas,

Just tested the "savegame" with Safari on my iPad, it still crashes. However, I've also been testing the "savegame" using Chrome and it doesn't crash in Chrome! Seems like this is a Safari issue after all. It's too bad though, because the game runs much better under Safari than under Chrome. Maybe Safari does a better job of implementing HTML5, expect for the "savegame" thing.

I will let you know about the "Nameless leader" bug as soon as I get there in my current game... er... test session. ;)

Thanks.
-IZY.
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Hi Andreas,

Just encountered some pirates. Cowards! They still claim their leader's name is "unassigned"!

;)

P.S. I don't recall seeing the notice about pirates acquiring a new leader. Or does that notice only show up some of the time, not always?

-IZY.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

IZY5O wrote:Hi Andreas,

Just encountered some pirates. Cowards! They still claim their leader's name is "unassigned"!

;)

P.S. I don't recall seeing the notice about pirates acquiring a new leader. Or does that notice only show up some of the time, not always?

-IZY.
Okay, we'll have to fix this still, then.

I wonder, do you still get creashes in Safari when saving games in Freeciv-web, after updating to iOS version 8.1.1?
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

AndreasR wrote: I wonder, do you still get creashes in Safari when saving games in Freeciv-web, after updating to iOS version 8.1.1?
Hi Andreas,

IT WORKS!!! Apple fixed the problem with Safari! I can "savegame" again! :D

Back to "testing"... ;)

-IZY.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Good to know Apple solved their bug, IZY5O!

I think I have fixed the nameless barbarian bug in the latest version. It might take some hours before the fix is live on the production server, since I didn't do any restarts. Can you give it a try?

What is the NEXT big important bug to fix now?

Andreas
asadotzler

Post by asadotzler »

I have one fairly catastrophic bug. When global warming occurs, and a big download is initiated -- new tile data presumably, my slow-ish connection takes too long and when it finishes, I've lost my connection to the server and the game stalls.

I have a 1.5Mbit connection and I can sometimes survive a global warming event, but it's rare I'll survive more than a few without a game-killing connection loss.

A couple of possible solutions: further compress the package that comes down with global warming and spend extra CPU to decompress on the client. break the big download into a few separate events so that the game can make its necessary connections. add an option to the pre-launch settings to disable global warming (since it's apparently not possible to disable after server start.)
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

asadotzler wrote:I have one fairly catastrophic bug. When global warming occurs, and a big download is initiated -- new tile data presumably, my slow-ish connection takes too long and when it finishes, I've lost my connection to the server and the game stalls.

I have a 1.5Mbit connection and I can sometimes survive a global warming event, but it's rare I'll survive more than a few without a game-killing connection loss.

A couple of possible solutions: further compress the package that comes down with global warming and spend extra CPU to decompress on the client. break the big download into a few separate events so that the game can make its necessary connections. add an option to the pre-launch settings to disable global warming (since it's apparently not possible to disable after server start.)
Could you try playing with a smaller map, and see if that helps your connection problems? For example use the command: /set size 2

Also, could you please post a screenshot here of the game when it is crashing? And show the error message you get when you loose the connection to the server.

Andreas
asadotzler

Post by asadotzler »

AndreasR wrote:
asadotzler wrote:I have one fairly catastrophic bug.
Could you try playing with a smaller map, and see if that helps your connection problems? For example use the command: /set size 2

Also, could you please post a screenshot here of the game when it is crashing? And show the error message you get when you loose the connection to the server.

Andreas
When it happens, I see this in the console "WebSocket connection closed, code+reason: 1006, " tracker.js:10:312" but I see nothing happening in the network connections tab of Firefox dev tools.

There's no UI errors at all when this happens. The game simply never returns to playability. The "turn done" button completes, the global warming effects set in visibly, but after that, everything becomes paralyzed. I can click through all the UI still, but can't make any changes.

I'll try the smaller size and report back. I've had some success in the past avoiding exploring large sections of the map and that used to allow me, some of the time, to survive global warming, so I'm hopeful that the smaller size will work.

update: I tried a smaller size and was able to survive the global warming events. Yay! I'm unbroken. Thank's for the suggestion.
CodeMaster

Post by CodeMaster »

I save game, receive message that it was successful, however when i try to load game,my latest saves arent there, they are frozen in time, curently i have 61 games in localstorage missing about 10.
i had same bug in the beginning of the map, however save loading somehow started to work again, idk what i have done.

i dont recall i received any messages to increase localstorage

localStorage.simpleStorage.length is 5106895, it dosent contain my missing games
i use lastest(i assume it autoupdates or something) chrome on linux

update:
i just tested saving again, localstorage size didnt change after saving, despite game say it was succsessfull

if however i load some more older game (i tried like 20 saves old) and then try to save it, it saves fine so i dont belive it is localstorage size

here is my localstorage.simpleStorage, latest save in it is working fine. the game that fails to save for me is s2333
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/5 ... e-txt.html
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

CodeMaster wrote:I save game, receive message that it was successful, however when i try to load game,my latest saves arent there, they are frozen in time, curently i have 61 games in localstorage missing about 10.
i had same bug in the beginning of the map, however save loading somehow started to work again, idk what i have done.
Hi CodeMaster, can you please post a screenshot of the output in the Javascript console when saving and loading a game? Ctrl-Shift-J will open that window in Chrome. I will try to get this bug fixed!

Andreas