an easy question

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
mfans

an easy question

Post by mfans »

I want to ask that does barbarians invade the AIs' territory, I dislike them, and I hope them to help me win the AIs. Or really I should set no barbarians?
The second, I think the Freeciv is more difficult than Civilization series, can anybody share the experience to help new comers to win?
louis94
Hardened

Re: an easy question

Post by louis94 »

Hello,

For shared experience, see http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28.

Barbarians have no friends. They randomly appear somewhere and try to take nearby cities. Then they produce war units and try to take more cities. They are a lot weaker than regulars AIs because they won't ever build buildings in their cities.
In general, it's not possible to ask AIs (barbarians are AIs) to help you doing something (they don't understand English). But your allies will ask for your help, and if you don't help them, punish you by canceling alliance.

Louis
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

If you have the gold to finish a wall in two of your cities without walls in turn 60, and a warrior + catapult everywhere, the first barbarians have no chance. Alternatively in cities with a warrior + wall you need the gold to finish the catapult in one or two cities under attack.

As others wrote in another thread, wall+phalanx+phalanx should be also good enough. And it doesn't need to be ready everywhere, you only must have the gold to get it ready immediately if a city is under attack. They are attracted by weak cities, no wall, not populated, not your capital. and you are in trouble. If your cities are good they attack the weak AIs ;)

Disabling barbarians is too easy, you (and the AIs) can get a boost in turn 1 if you set dispersion=1 instead of the default dispersion=0. With that your initial units end up on 3x3 tiles instead of 1x1, you might immediately see a good tile for your first city, and after 60 turns this initial boost is a huge advantage against any barbarian trying to visit you. Kill the barbarian leader (on land) for a ransom of 100 gold, and they end up to pay for your expensive walls.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

If the problem is that 60 turns is not enough time to prepare for you, you may set 'onsetbarbs' (turn barbarians appear at the earliest) to a higher value.
rainbowrobin

Post by rainbowrobin »

mfans wrote:I want to ask that does barbarians invade the AIs' territory, I dislike them, and I hope them to help me win the AIs. Or really I should set no barbarians?
The second, I think the Freeciv is more difficult than Civilization series, can anybody share the experience to help new comers to win?
Oh yes, they attack the AIs. I almost never lose cities to barbarians, since I work hard on having defended cities. I often see pirate cities that have been taken from an AI, though. I almost wish they'd be more interesting and form a viable new AI side...