Why great library is so hard

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
mfans

Why great library is so hard

Post by mfans »

I play with 2.4.3 with easy AIs, but I found the Great Library is very hard to get, when I started to study Literature, the AIs had already started to vuild the Great Library, it is too hard.
ifaesfu

Re: Why great library is so hard

Post by ifaesfu »

You can start another wonder and switch to the GL when you know the tech.
mfans

Post by mfans »

I went directly from Alphabet to Code of Laws and Writing (and Bronze Working ),then to Literacy, and I found AI is 15turns ahead before to complete Literacy to start to build the Great Library, how to solve?
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

Great Library is a Must Have wonder for me. I get Trade early, and then my cities can work on Caravans while I research Literacy. After I build essential settlers, I also enable the Govenor to Max Science in cities larger than 1. That reduces the city rate of growth, but it also spikes my science progress to get Trade sooner. Then I usually disable all the Govenors to resume normal growth with normal science.
rainbowrobin

Post by rainbowrobin »

mfans wrote:I went directly from Alphabet to Code of Laws and Writing (and Bronze Working ),then to Literacy, and I found AI is 15turns ahead before to complete Literacy to start to build the Great Library, how to solve?
Well, you're making a detour to Bronze Working; the AI might not be. But also, I think the AIs cheat, to make up for their stupidity in other areas, one cheating being able to max out their science rates at 100% despite Despotism. In which case, either try to grow faster and smarter to make up for that, or cheat yourself by giving yourself an extra tech or so with the editor.

Though I'd note that it'll take a while to build the Great Library, even with Literacy researched. So you could try pre-building it by building a different wonder and switching, as mentioned, or by building lots of diplomats or phalanxes and then disbanding them for half their shield cost once you've started building the GL. Sort of like Caravans but at 50% effectiveness.
mfans

Post by mfans »

Jim-11 wrote:Great Library is a Must Have wonder for me. I get Trade early, and then my cities can work on Caravans while I research Literacy. After I build essential settlers, I also enable the Govenor to Max Science in cities larger than 1. That reduces the city rate of growth, but it also spikes my science progress to get Trade sooner. Then I usually disable all the Govenors to resume normal growth with normal science.
I even have no time to research the Trade.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

I don't bother with GL in single-player games. I'm soon more advanced than any AI anyway, so there would be no techs (known by multiple AIs) that it could give me.
mfans

Post by mfans »

Hi, Cazfi:
would you please give me some tips on science research?
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Don't worry about (normal or weaker) AIs starting Great Wall and switching to Great Library early. Their capital sucks, their economy sucks, their military sucks, and they need many turns to finish the Great Library. You can't get it always, and if you get it it's not a 100% sure win. If you don't get it pick Pyramids, and grow. The next secret (= the AIs miss this) step is Theory of Gravity, all your universities double their research speed if you get Isaac Newton's College.