Old into the New

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
Space313

Old into the New

Post by Space313 »

So, presently, I have Freeciv 2.2.5 which is almost a relic that should be on display, but I see that months, possibly years have gone by and I've noticed that this program exists. I learned everything again, yet I find that a version 2.4 is out (Tips hat to developers, truly), but I haven't really updated Freeciv, ever, really, and do not know how to update Freeciv into the new one, knowing !) Im bypassing any updates between, and B) I dont know whether old saves would work in the new version. I have already downloaded the new version, but don't know what to do next.

Any help is useful.

P.S. Again, thanks for the developers, who have continued development on a free-source game and to all the modders who have made additions to Freeciv. :)
cazfi
Elite

Re: Old into the New

Post by cazfi »

I'll assume we are talking about Windows here, as you're talking about downloadable binary package.

Installing the new version won't update the old installation, but versions will coexist. Freeciv-2.4 is able to load freeciv-2.2 savegames and to migrate settings from it.
Space313

Post by Space313 »

I'm guessing you're suggesting to download the installer, then transfer the save folder from the previous/older Freeciv Save folder?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

With the caveat that I don't know Windows version specific things well, all you need to do is to install the new version. The savegame folder is shared between different freeciv versions. 2.4 will be able to load games saved with 2.2, 2.2 will not be able to load those saved from 2.4. The client configuration file will be named after the version of freeciv, so they are separate between 2.2 and 2.4 installation, but when you launch 2.4 first time, and it cannot find its own configuration file, it will look older configuration files to migrate settings from.

2.2 had no modpack installer utility for custom modpacks, so you probably have not installed any. They are usually version specific, get installed to version specific folders, and need to be installed separately for each freeciv version. Version here meaning the two first parts of the version number; anything 2.4.a is compatible with anything 2.4.b
Space313

Post by Space313 »

Alright, yeah, now that I started it, its, oddly enough, compatible. Thanks for the guidance!