Delete or load saved games

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
MrBalloon

Delete or load saved games

Post by MrBalloon »

Hi all. If i click on every saved game I don't know why the game load me every time the same play. I don't want to continue this play but I dont understand how to delete old saved games.
Can someone explane me how I can delete my old games? And why if I open another one the game give me back every time the same game?

Thank in advance

MrBalloon
dunnoob
Elite

Re: Delete or load saved games

Post by dunnoob »

MrBalloon wrote:Can someone explane me how I can delete my old games?
Open the directory (folder) %APPDATA%\.freeciv\saves where %APPDATA% can be C:\users\your-logon-account\AppData\Roaming on Windows Vista or later.

For XP it could be C:\Documents and Settings\your-logon-account-name\Application Data\.freeciv\saves Explorer would show you the translated name (your language) for users (e.g., German "Benutzer") or "Documents and Settings". The %APPDATA% tree is normally hidden in explorer, if all else fails simply type start %APPDATA%\.freeciv\saves on a command line, this opens an explorer window in the saves folder. You can delete files with "auto" in their name, these are automatically saved files. Everything with "quitidle" in its name could be an unfinished game after a client crash. Stuff with "manual" in its name are saved games when you manually click on "save" while playing. And "final" are finished games.

Cleaning up this mess is boring, you could sort the files by their "last modification" column, scroll down to the newest "final", and then delete it and everything below it (= older) to get rid of old finished saved files. Caveat: The 2.5.0-beta1 client puts its saved games in the same "saves" folder, but you cannot continue a saved 2.5 game with a 2.4 client if you have both.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I"m a little late but it took me some days to find this thread
You say:
"Everything with "quitidle" in its name could be an unfinished game after a client crash."

You sure about this? I don't have crashes, and "quitidle" comes up when I quit a game normally. Is there a difference between "manual" and "quitidle" of the same turn?
Thank you very much.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Arbogast wrote:"Everything with "quitidle" in its name could be an unfinished game after a client crash."

You sure about this? I don't have crashes, and "quitidle" comes up when I quit a game normally.
I'm only playing against the AIs so far, and on my box "could be" is actually "always is" ;-) If it is "never" on your box my comment wasn't helpful. And I did not mention the nice forfiles.exe on Windows, because I didn't know it -- it is certainly faster than deleting lots of old save files with explorer.
Arbogast wrote:Is there a difference between "manual" and "quitidle" of the same turn?
Manual happens when you click on save or similar, quitidle happens when the server lost all (?) connections. That could be at different times within the same turn. For single player games the first listed save game is always the freshest, and after a crash of the client that should be a "quitidle".
ILoveLilyAllen

Post by ILoveLilyAllen »

I seem to get a quitidle savegame if I close using the top-right X, and don't when I choose "Quit" from the game menu.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I get 'quitidle' via the exit menu AFTER I do a manual save.
Therefore my question: Is 'quitidle' a "Everything with "quitidle" in its name could be an unfinished game after a client crash.", as Dunnoob says?

LilyAllen's comment kind of disclaims the unfinished game idea, or not? My opinion is the contrary: 'quitidle' is a complete turn finished!
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

"quitidle" is saved before server shuts itself down due to lack of players (all players disconnected and no new connections within a timeout).
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Cazfi: That means that everyone -including AIs- did their turn, thus no more moves from everybody, thus 'quitidle'.
Funny how we go from different roads to arrive to the same end. The difference is that I play alone and you are talking about web-playing.
And this ain't the first time. :)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

My point of view was that how I have implemented it ;-)

"quitidle" as a term comes from the server commandline option:

Code: Select all

> freeciv-server --help
-q, --quitidle TIME   Quit if no players for TIME seconds