freeciv-web bugs

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
IZY5O

Re: freeciv-web bugs

Post by IZY5O »

Hello Andreas,

Research works fine now, as expected. Thank you! :D

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, I've been play... er... testing the game and the new fixes.

- Most recent bugs:

**NEXT MOST IMPORTANT THING**
Can't do shore bombardment! My ships (Destroyers) were able to attack land units when I first started the game, but can't any more as of a week ago. It just says "the unit can't go there".

Can't load more than one unit to the same tile, have to move ship to new tile to receive next unit. If I have several units stacked on a beach tile, I can only load one onto a ship. The next unit cannot get on the ship until the ship moves. The unit just ignores the order to board the ship.

Fighters can't pass through, "fly over", a city. Once they enter, they "land", and any subsequent attempted moves become a "goto" for the next turn.

- Ongoing bugs:

"Goto" command button inserts random command: It seems to leave garbage in the command queue because the next turn the unit has some random orders which may be invalid orders, or worse, sometimes valid but mistaken orders.

"Goto" mode does not end: The "Goto" mode still continues/remains in effect for the next unit, and the next unit, until you finally choose an unreachable destination. If this is the proper behavior, might it be possible to have a visual cue that the currently selected unit is in "goto" mode? Maybe a different color for the dashed circle that surrounds it?

Nameless leader: when the pirates (or new nations from a civil war) first show up, their leader has no name. It simply says "... leader unassigned".

Spaces in renamed city names turn to "%20": Actually, this has gotten better. It only seems to show up in the "Messages" box now.

Okay, back to my testing. ;)

-IZY.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks again for the very useful feedback from your testing. I have released a new version to the production server, where it has been updated to the latest Freeciv C server, where shore bombardment is again possible. Hopefully it will be a little better, and perhaps some new bugs.

I will look more into detail of the other bugs that you have reported. They should be fixed soon also.

Andreas
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Hey! What's up with the Messages Box? My messages just start scrolling up up and away! After a minute or two they are gone. Did something change? I can't remember all those messages and liked the fact that they were there to review. And it also stopped reporting the vote when I saved a game. :(

-IZY.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

IZY5O wrote:Hey! What's up with the Messages Box? My messages just start scrolling up up and away! After a minute or two they are gone. Did something change? I can't remember all those messages and liked the fact that they were there to review. And it also stopped reporting the vote when I saved a game. :(

-IZY.
Hi IZY,

This is me experimenting with the message box. I tried to make the messages eventually fade out by removing one line every 8 seconds.
The reason was that on iPhone the chat dialog was filling up the screen so that it was impossible to move units.
I realize that this must be done better. Instead I'll have a limit to the maximum number of lines of the message box,
and try to find a better solution for devices with small screens.

Except for this, what's the most important thing to fix in the current version, IZY?
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Freeciv-Web Letter

Hi Andreas,

I see.

When I feel the Messages box is in the way, I just close it, make my moves, then re-open it.

But, how about this idea... Can we have another tab (besides "Map", "Government", "Research", "Nations", "Options", and "Manual") that keeps the old messages? This would be where messages go after their 8 seconds in the Messages box. It could be called "Reports" or "Communiqués" or something like that... Just a thought.

**NEXT MOST IMPORTANT THING**

"Goto" command button appends a random command: When I use the "Goto" command on a unit (mostly my workers), it seems to leave garbage in the command queue because the next turn the unit acts on some random order which may be invalid, or worse, sometimes a valid but mistaken order (such as Disband!). This can be a little frustrating.

And again, thanks! :)

-IZY.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

I have deployed a new version to http://play.freeciv.org now.

The message box has been improved, so that it will at the end-of turn limit the text there to maximum of 20 lines.
I hope that limit will be acceptable. There has to be some limit to the number of lines, or else the memory in your browser could be used up
and performance will be slow.

There is also new production worklist support in the city dialog. Please give it a try and see if it works!

I have not been able to reproduce the problem with random commands in the queue at the end of a goto.
Does this problem happen often? How can I reproduce it?

Andreas
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

"Goto" command button appends a random command"

The server has been updated with some fixes for this problem. Has it been fixed for you now?
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Hi Andreas,

All your recent updates sound good.

As for the random Goto leftover command issue, give me some time to test it. Since it was a random thing, it's difficult to duplicate.

By the way, I love the new production worklist. It's just that the dialog box is a little too tall for my iPad screen when it's in landscape view.

Thanks.

-IZY.
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Hi Andreas,

Okay. Two steps forward, one step back. :|

The new production worklist is AWESOME, except for how it grows too big for my iPad screen. And also, it keeps popping up even if I'm just changing the tiles worked.

The command buttons however seem to have gotten worse. Now when I tap one, say "build road", sometimes it moves on to the next unit and sometimes it doesn't. And the "goto" command, even though the unit window asks to choose a destination, it doesn't always accept your choice if another unit is already there (makes it difficult to stack units, or load them on a ship).

And the random commands at the end of a "goto" are still there, just very rare. I notice it in my workers the most cuz they're the ones I keep sending everywhere to do everything.

But hey, thanks for all you do! :D

-IZY.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks again for the bugreport IZY. I have pushed a new version of Freeciv-web to http://play.freeciv.org, fixing the two bugs you reported on the worklist, as well as the other changes listed on github.

As for the rest of your comment, about the bugs in goto and issuing commands, I will need some more time to investigate the issue, since it's hard to reproduce and it seemingly works correctly on my system. Perhaps some of the other Freeciv developers have some ideas?

Andreas