Assigning action for next turn

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
ILoveLilyAllen

Assigning action for next turn

Post by ILoveLilyAllen »

Greetings,

I have searched the forum regarding this issue, so apologies if it's already been answered.

Freeciv version 2.5.0-beta1 (beta version), gui-gtk-2.0 client.

Under standard rules, when moving an engineer onto a virgin forest tile its move ends and "focus" switches to the next available unit. It is then possible to click on the recently moved engineer and assign an action, e.g. build road, which will be executed the following turn.

If I move a second engineer onto that same virgin forest tile I can click on the engineer icon in the tile; double-click on that second engineer icon in the unit selection box; and finally assign a build road action.

If I am lucky enough to have started with the two engineers that are required (see my "wish list" about selecting a specific number of units), I can move them onto to virgin forest spot but then have to re-select them (at least two steps as they have lost focus) then tell them to build a road.

Please will you tell me whether there is an easier way to do this (maybe a UI setting) or should I add a request to the "Wish-list"?
louis94
Hardened

Re: Assigning action for next turn

Post by louis94 »

Hello,

When you want to select all units on a tile, you can use the right mouse selection feature : just do as if you were selecting text, but with the right mouse button.

Louis
ILoveLilyAllen

Post by ILoveLilyAllen »

Thank you for the tip ...

In the version/configuration I am using the right mouse button centres the view on that tile. I use that centring feature extensively as I turned off all the auto-centre options (to stop the view constantly jumping around making me feel dizzy!)

ILLA

<edit>
Ah - I see what you mean: right-click-drag creates an area with all the units inside it selected.

I tried that and by mistake included the units in an adjacent tile! Maybe it'll be okay after a bit of practice, but if not I'll end up interrupting some units which were in the middle of a multi-turn process and have to start at the beginning again :(

Thank you anyway
</edit>
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

I tried that and by mistake included the units in an adjacent tile!
There is no need to draw a big area : I think all units of tiles that intersect with the rectangle are selected.

I discovered this feature it by accident : wanting to move the map, I right-clicked while my mouse was still moving. After a dozen times, I finally understood what I was doing. All that to say it may not be very visible to the user :)
...I'll end up interrupting some units which were in the middle of a multi-turn process and have to start at the beginning again
You won't loose your progress as long as you don't move your units. You can test it with a fortified unit : select it and hit F just after. The unit's state will be "Fortified" and not "Fortifying".

Louis
Last edited by louis94 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

My solution is more prosaic:
Click in the first unit you want, then with the Shift key pressed, choose the next unit you want, and so on. Like that you don't choose units you don't want. ;)
ILoveLilyAllen

Post by ILoveLilyAllen »

louis94 wrote: There is no need to draw a big area : I think all units of tiles that intersect with the rectangle are selected.
:) Yes - and unfortunately I was born clumsy so my rectangle often intersects more than the tile containing the target unit (I have practiced for hours today and got it wrong numerous times). This isn't a fault of the game, it's me!
louis94 wrote: You won't loose your progress as long as you don't move your units.
Thank you - I hadn't realise that and it would (obviously) make a big difference as any mistakes can be corrected :)
Arbogast wrote: Click in the first unit you want, then with the Shift key pressed ...
Do you mean in "View" mode, or in the Unit Selection Dialog, or somewhere else? I have found pressing <ctrl><left-click> sometimes selects separated objects in Freeciv but I haven't found where <shift><left-click> is most useful?

Thank you both for your kind responses
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

My bum, sorry. Couldn't repeat what I said. Must be thinking about another game. :oops:
ILoveLilyAllen

Post by ILoveLilyAllen »

Pas de probleme, et merci infiniment pour ton aide :)
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Hang on, hang on!!
It DOES work. Like I said choose one unit and with the shift key pressed choose the next one and so on. BUT if you have several units in one tile, things get a little more complicated, and I haven't the answer to that. Yes, in the View window
Pas de quoi.
ILoveLilyAllen

Post by ILoveLilyAllen »

Yes :) Thank you Arbogast - that does indeed work. I agree with you that adding anything from a multi-unit tile isn't as simple though.

When I started Freeciv (and possibly vague memories from playing the fantastic Civ II for countless hours) I found a way to select multiple units from different stacks and move them "en bloc", but cannot remember how I did that now!

This is a bit off-topic as it doesn't make "Assigning action for the next turn" any easier, but I wonder if the wiki has an area which lists all the keyboard/mouse/nose possibilities, especially for controlling units. It would be even better if there was an addendum for clumsy people like me!

Anyway apart from occasionally launching a space shuttle in error, the wonderful tips from louis94 have helped :)