Combat Animation Not Displaying on Kubuntu with Oxygen theme

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
mililani

Combat Animation Not Displaying on Kubuntu with Oxygen theme

Post by mililani »

Hi, guys!

I just installed FreeCiv 2.3.2 from the Ubuntu repository on my brand new Kubuntu 13.04 64 bit. Everything works fine, except the combat animations. They are not displaying at all. The setting for display animation is set, and I tried various settings for the animation delay (10 to 1000). The only visible effect when the delay is higher is that the combat takes longer (without display, though).

I downloaded the current beta of 2.4, and it has the same problem. Also, in both versions, the popup dialogs flicker strangely. Is this a known issue, is this something new?

Any help would be appreciated.

[Moderator edit 7 May: an explanation/workaround is in this followup. --JTN]
Last edited by JTN on Tue May 07, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Combat Animation Not Displaying

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

While the game is running, go to the "File" menu. There should be some kind of "Local Settings" thing. You should look for an option regarding combat animations.
~ AVL
mililani

Post by mililani »

Yep, did that. Combat animations are set to display, and I tried setting for the delay between 10 and 1000.

I am mostly looking for other people that installed freeciv-gtk2 from repository on Ubuntu (Kubuntu) 13.04 64 bit. FreeCiv used to work just fine on Ubuntu in the last few years, and this is the first time I run into an issue. It is also the first time I run it on 64 bit. At this point, before I start digging in, I'd like to hear if it's just me, or the setup.

But thanks for the reply!
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

mililani wrote:I just installed FreeCiv 2.3.2 from the Ubuntu repository on my brand new Kubuntu 13.04 64 bit. Everything works fine, except the combat animations. They are not displaying at all. The setting for display animation is set, and I tried various settings for the animation delay (10 to 1000). The only visible effect when the delay is higher is that the combat takes longer (without display, though).
Hm, not heard that one before.
What tileset are you using?
mililani wrote:I downloaded the current beta of 2.4, and it has the same problem. Also, in both versions, the popup dialogs flicker strangely. Is this a known issue, is this something new?
Not heard that one either. Is the popup flicker peculiar to 2.4? (Are you using beta2, just released? And the Gtk2 client?)
mililani

Post by mililani »

JTN wrote:
mililani wrote:I just installed FreeCiv 2.3.2 [...]
Hm, not heard that one before.
What tileset are you using?
amplio2
JTN wrote:
mililani wrote:I downloaded the current beta of 2.4, and it has the same problem. Also, in both versions, the popup dialogs flicker strangely. [...]
Not heard that one either. Is the popup flicker peculiar to 2.4? (Are you using beta2, just released? And the Gtk2 client?)
I was using both 2.4.0beta2 and 2.3.2. Although I don't recall the flickering in the 2.3.2 client before I built and installed the beta (so that may be some .so issue lurking in the underground.)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

This does ring a bell in a sense that we had similar problem with unit movement animation not showing on gtk3-client. Are you sure you are using gtk2-client and not new gtk3 one?
mililani

Post by mililani »

cazfi wrote:This does ring a bell in a sense that we had similar problem with unit movement animation not showing on gtk3-client. Are you sure you are using gtk2-client and not new gtk3 one?
Yeah, pretty sure. Here are the dependencies listed for the package:

Code: Select all

Package: freeciv-client-gtk
Versions: 
2.3.2-1 (/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_raring_universe_binary-amd64_Packages) (/var/lib/dpkg/status)
[...]
Reverse Depends: 
  freeciv-client-gtk:i386,freeciv-client-gtk
  junior-games-sim,freeciv-client-gtk
Dependencies: 
2.3.2-1 - libbz2-1.0 (0 (null)) libc6 (2 2.15) libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (2 2.22.0) libglib2.0-0 (2 2.12.0) libgtk2.0-0 (2 2.8.0) libpango1.0-0 (2 1.14.0) libsdl-mixer1.2 (0 (null)) libsdl1.2debian (2 1.2.10-1) zlib1g (2 1:1.1.4) freeciv-data (0 (null)) freeciv-sound (0 (null)) freeciv-client-extras (0 (null)) freeciv-server (2 2.3.0) freeciv-client-gtk:i386 (0 (null)) 
You'll notice the dependency on libgtk2.0-0.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Oh sorry, talk about test with 2.4.0-beta2 got me to forgot that you saw this problem with 2.3 already (and 2.3 has no gtk3-client).
mililani

Post by mililani »

cazfi wrote:Oh sorry, talk about test with 2.4.0-beta2 got me to forgot that you saw this problem with 2.3 already (and 2.3 has no gtk3-client).
No sweat! I did reproduce the problem on another machine running raring 64-bit, btw. I also noticed that all animations seem to be gone, not just combat animations. When I have the units explore, all I see is the end result of the exploration.
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

Helle,

This bug affects me too, at least from Ubuntu 11.10. I am sometimes able to see the defending unit briefly.
No problem under Fedora 18, maybe it's related to Ubuntu itself.
Building the beta2 from source didn't solve this issue.

Louis