Civ4-like Ruleset as default

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Treefingers

Civ4-like Ruleset as default

Post by Treefingers »

What it says in the title.

Culture, religion, many viable victory types, minor wonders, great people, more terrain improvements, incredible balance...

I've played a ton of every version of the Civs. 4 is the best overall by a significant margin, especially if only compared to 1-3. I don't think I need to go into detail about why. It's a very widely held opinion. The only reason some people seem to prefer 5 is that it fixes so much about the combat system (namely late-game stacks of doom) and they feel that's worth losing some of 4's other strengths. (I do think the combat changes in 5 are excellent, but I also think the military changes forced too many regressions in the rest of the game.) I personally love the hex layout.

I think Freeciv is very well done, and I'm happy to keep poking away at the tileset I'm working on (gonna be pretty awesome). It's good enough that I want it to stick around and continue improving. But I keep getting pulled back to Civ 4. I can't play 2 or 3 anymore having played 4, and since Freeciv is basically a mod of 2/3 I always end up feeling the same way about it.

I believe wider adoption of the game has its best chance if the default rule set is as fun as possible. I think rules that closely match Civ 4's would be the most enjoyable with the fewest frustrating flaws. Perfection could be neared with some changes aimed at fixing the (relatively minor) combat issues.

I'm well aware that Freeciv was built around something closer to Civ 2. And that there may be some rules that simply can't be done without new code. That's fine. That's why this is in the wishlist.
unixisc

Re: Civ4-like Ruleset as default

Post by unixisc »

I fully agree w/ this one. Particularly religion - I'd like the concept of religion imported from Civ4, w/ certain adjustments. Since we have a list of nations, associate every one by their native religion, and give it to them at the start of the game. The player can choose to found that religion and build all the missionaries & wonders associated w/ it, and then confront other players on that basis as well. That way, the Israelites could start already knowing Judaism, the Marathas could start w/ a ready knowledge of Hinduism, the Saudis could start off already as Muslims and so on. That would make the game a lot more interesting.

Also, in Freeciv, it would be nice if one could permanently fix some of the things related to nations. Like a lot of civilizations have cities that historically weren't theirs, but are just 'pulled down' from another nation. So if one could update that list, that would be good.
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

Hello,

The goal of Freeciv is not to be a free version of Civilization. This is how the project started (hence the name), but it is now much more than that. Some rulesets are very different from the original game (Ancients, Alien). Freeciv is going its own way, and I don't think a CivN ruleset will become the default.
That being said, any good ruleset has chances to be included in the main distribution, and some of its features could be added to the default one. Culture, more terrain improvements and effect-based victory will be feasible in 2.6, while adding minor ("small") wonders is already possible. I don't think religions will be supported in the near future, but great people might be doable using Lua.
I don't own any of the Civilization games. Understanding how great they may be is thus difficult. Of course, having a civ4-like Freeciv ruleset would help :-)

@unixisc : Have a look at the data/nation/*.ruleset files. They are pretty much self-explanatory, adding missing cities is easy.

Louis
Lachu
Elite

Post by Lachu »

Freeciv have many features from Civilization 3(3d units), as you said small wonders, nationalities. I must tell, that trunk is in version 2.90-99-dev, so it's going to 3.0 version.
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

Lachu wrote:Trunk is in version 2.90-99-dev, so it's going to 3.0 version.
Trunk is indeed going to be 3.0, but there will be 2.6 before that.