"Disable tech transfering altogether" option

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
monamipierrot

"Disable tech transfering altogether" option

Post by monamipierrot »

In GreatTurn I faced a problem: I would love to setup a game with NO POSSIBLE trasnfer of tech either wanted or non-wanted between 2 nations.
The reason is that this way players are encouraged to specialize in some tech branch without any leakage of techs between players, either friends or foes.

However, this impossible to achieve unless you renounce to some other features, e.g. to diplomat actions such bribing or similars.
I wuold love to have a simple, "red button" check box on my server settings tab, called "DISABLE TECH TRASNFERING ALTOGETHER".
If checked, you can't:
1 - give, get, exchange techs (so diplomacy window doesn't offer this option)
2 - steal techs (so diplo action window doesn't offer this option)
3 - conquer techs (so when you occupy an enemy city, you don't get any tech)
4 - in any other way, have tech transfering from player A to player B (can't think which other way, but just in case!)(uh yes, tech_leakage maybe)

so, there's no other way to achieve them than RESEARCHING them (or win them by yourself throu bonuses, huts and so on, if these are enabled).

Another elegant way to achieve the same would be have 4 different check boxes for points 1, 2, 3, and 4 althou they would make sense if ALL of them are checked altogether.

I will not explain here why this could be a great idea. If someone could prepare a patch about this, we could experiment it in a GreatTurn match, and it will hopefully show its advantages in multiplayer longturn games
cazfi
Elite

Re: "Disable tech transfering altogether" option

Post by cazfi »

2.5 will have ruleset option of this, "Not_Tech_Source" effect: patch #3546