Financial management

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
monamipierrot

Financial management

Post by monamipierrot »

There should be a facility for delayed and rateal payment in the Diplomacy window.
When you select "Give gold" there should be 2 more field: Turn of payment (current turn by default) and number of turns (payment will be done each turn for x turns). A check box could be implemented to select if the amount is to be multiplied for Turn# or is already the total amount. Then, the server should take care of administrating delayed payment on each TC (beginning of turn). Actions should be taken if payment becomes impossible.
Payment agreement could be stopped at any time, depending on government type.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Financial management

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Sounds like a nice idea! I support this.
~ AVL
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

very good idea
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

Turn of payment should be relative (i.e. "current turn", "+1", "+2"...), to avoid conflict or confusion if pact is approved in a different turn than it is proposed.
Also, a proper resume of due payments should be showed somewhere (F5 window?), along with the button to cancel them. Maybe tricky.
A deluxe version could also allow future payment of techs or cities :)
Maybe easier would be a PERMANENT "All techs" payment (each time a player know a new tech, it will be passed automatically to the other player - till the agreement is canceled)

by the way, and off topic: unit transfer would be also great to implement.
Sarilho1

Post by Sarilho1 »

This would be a great idea to make peace treaties to end a war: the defeat nation would pay some gold every turn to the winners, historically we can see this type of treaty in the Treaty of Versailles. But, the implement this, the diplomatic system would need to suffer a great transformation, because now it is impossible to end wars against AI players.
mikehg

Post by mikehg »

You could generalise this to include things like borrowing from allies / neutral nations.

Let's say you have a box which says you will pay X amount of gold / turn for Y turns, you could set up a treaty which says your ally gives you gold now, and you pay it back over time. The treaty window could calculate the total you'll be paying back, and the rate of interest, just for information for the player.

The AI players could then evaluate whether it seems profitable to them *reasonably* simply, knowing how much cash they have, how closely allied they are to you, how long you propose to borrow it for, and the interest rate.

You could use this for things like gifts over time or war reparations easily enough (I give you no gold now, you pay me back 10 / turn over 50 turns, we declare peace).

Perhaps you could implement a 'financial reputation' alongside the diplomatic relations, so neutral countries (human or AI) can decide how likely you are to pay them back.
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

mikehg wrote:You could generalise this to include things like borrowing from allies / neutral nations.

Let's say you have a box which says you will pay X amount of gold / turn for Y turns, you could set up a treaty which says your ally gives you gold now, and you pay it back over time. The treaty window could calculate the total you'll be paying back, and the rate of interest, just for information for the player.

The AI players could then evaluate whether it seems profitable to them *reasonably* simply, knowing how much cash they have, how closely allied they are to you, how long you propose to borrow it for, and the interest rate.

You could use this for things like gifts over time or war reparations easily enough (I give you no gold now, you pay me back 10 / turn over 50 turns, we declare peace).

Perhaps you could implement a 'financial reputation' alongside the diplomatic relations, so neutral countries (human or AI) can decide how likely you are to pay them back.
I already had in mind that you can simply set up two payments: one now (borrow) and one over the time (back+ interest), one for each player's diplo info.
The new proposal from you is to have the server (or client) calculate the rate of interest, automatically. Good idea.
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

Another great feature is to have peace treaties bound to the correct behaviour of the player with debt.
I.E. If the player doesn't pay his yearly amount, the treaty is canceled (or Republics/Democracy are in right to cancel it)
This would be good also for other kind of permament agreements, such as visio (i.e. a peace a atreaty will last till one of the players keep giving vision to the other one)