Unit-type sensitive MP cost and other MP proposals

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
monamipierrot

Unit-type sensitive MP cost and other MP proposals

Post by monamipierrot »

I start here to repost some old posts of mine published in the Wishlist category of the Greatturn forum. Some of these post didn't have much luck and they has been ignored so far. The reason is simple: THIS was their ideal place.
Here it is the 1st entry about a slightly different MP system we could develop.
----

In my opinion mps costs should be unit-type sensitive. E.g. mounted or motorized or passive (cannons, catapults) types should behave in a different manner than infantry units, and not just on a matter of mps (as with motorized or mounted units). to be on wheels or on a horse should not be a advantage if you're traveling through mountains or swamps or jungles, and cannons should be difficoult to manage in similar terrains.
Also, advantage given by roads should be multiplied for wheeled units.

Roads/railroads. The design of roads and railroads should be cahnged. 1st of all it does not make sense a "ZERO" mps for railroads. Why not some 1/6 or 1/9 or 1/10mps? If it is difficoult to redesign the whole movement engine to lower the 1/3mp limit, then we can think about keeping the 1/3mp to SOME railroad movements, e.g. entering/leaving cities, travel thoru mountains/rivers/jungles/glaciers, or simply on a random basis (e.g. 1/3 chance to spend 1/3mp) to simulate technical failures (add a TechProblem sound to tell the player he lost 1/3mp).
OR, the randomness could be applied to the railroad infrastructure itself: there's a low chance (say 5%) to destroy (i.e. pillaging) the railroad while simply using it with militar units.
The chance to lose a railroad improvement could also be independent: say that every turn, every tile has a 1% chance to lose its railroad.
The movement
This could be a oppurtinity to design a new distinction in units: heavy (catapult, cannons, tanks, machineries...) and light ones (all infantry) opposed to average ones (mounted, wheeled...).
After all, to move a tank column on a railroad is not a simple task in real world.
sveinung
Elite

Re: Unit-type sensitive MP cost and other MP proposals

Post by sveinung »

At least some of what you suggest is possible in the development versions of Freeciv. At the moment those are 2.5 and 2.6 (trunk). Using one of them you can create a rule set with a rail road type that has a move cost of 1/9 move point but can't be used by wheeled units. (Roads and railroads are defined in the ruleset. How many fragments each movement point has is also ruleset controlled. See http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_up ... 2.4_to_2.5 and http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_up ... 2.5_to_2.6)

Want to try it? Get the source code of the most recent version by following the instructions at http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Freeciv_s ... repository. Then compile it. If you use Windows and don't want to compile Freeciv on Windows see this thread. (Compiling Freeciv on Windows is more work than compiling it on GNU∕Linux)
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

sveinung wrote:Want to try it?
Forgot to say that I am completely dummy at coding.
That's the reason I write in the "Wishlist" section and not in the "Treasure Chest" one!!!! I hope you don't mind if I posted this massive amount of ideas. After all we all deserve some "whishes"!
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

monamipierrot wrote:I hope you don't mind if I posted this massive amount of ideas.
Not at all. That is what the Wishlist forum is for. Just wanted to let you know that a part of your wish already has been granted.
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

sveinung wrote:
monamipierrot wrote:I hope you don't mind if I posted this massive amount of ideas.
Not at all. That is what the Wishlist forum is for. Just wanted to let you know that a part of your wish already has been granted.
:)
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

I forgot to mention that the experimental ruleset, in the development versions, has rules similar to those you ask for. Big land units (like Mech. Inf.) are different from normal land units (like Paratroopers). They can't enter terrains like swamp, mountain, hill or jungle (unless a road or something like that makes it possible) and aren't able to use Maglev. To move on a maglev cost 0 move points, to move on a railroad costs 1/9 move point and to move on a road cos 1/3 move point. In 2.4, the current version of Freeciv, big land units can't enter swamp etc, but Maglev etc don't appear before Freeciv 2.5.