Broken Modpack Installer (2.4.2, XP SP3)

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
J. Gryphon

Broken Modpack Installer (2.4.2, XP SP3)

Post by J. Gryphon »

I have a copy of Windows XP installed in VirtualBox, and wanted to get the newest copy of FreeCiv to run on it, since there isn't a OS X release of 2.4.2.

When I went to see what modpacks were available, I found on the modpack page that "For Freeciv 2.3, there is a tool freeciv-modpack for automatic download and installation of Modpacks and Tilesets." So I opened up the 2.4.2 folder and loaded up the modpack installer, hoping that using this would save me some time.

Needless to say, it didn't. I've tried several times to install various files with the modpack installer, and it never seems to bother to get around to doing its job. The few times it got all the way through the progress bar and the list of files without freezing up, and claimed that it was "Ready", I did a search on the hard drive to find... no new files. In spite of appearances, it didn't actually download anything, much less put it in the correct folders.

This is really disappointing. I'm not looking forward to going through and installing all of this by hand, and it seems that if the tool worked it would be a great timesaver.

I'm running the latest copy of Avast, in case that info might help.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Broken Modpack Installer (2.4.2, XP SP3)

Post by cazfi »

J. Gryphon wrote:much less put it in the correct folders.
Are you sure you know which that is, in Windows XP installation? Have you actually tested if the modpacks are usable in-game. If you have downloaded a ruleset and start client -> "Start New Game", is the new ruleset in list in Ruleset Version?

I have not tested it on VirtualBox installation of XP, but it works on all the systems I've tested it. The only way I can imagine to cause something like you describe is that you have no write permissions to the destination folder, so that it fails to save the files it has downloaded. (Silently ignoring such an error would be a bug, of course)
dunnoob
Elite

Re: Broken Modpack Installer (2.4.2, XP SP3)

Post by dunnoob »

cazfi wrote:
J. Gryphon wrote:much less put it in the correct folders.
Are you sure you know which that is, in Windows XP installation?
JFTR, the correct folder is %APPDATA%/.freeciv/2.4 for a 2.4.x ModPack installer on any Windows where it works at all (should include XP, but I'm only using 7 or W2K). The ModPack installer doesn't update anything in Freeciv proper, it only installs or updates ModPacks.