New name for Freeciv

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: New name for Freeciv

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Davide wrote:perhaps a little shorter than Human Paths.
How about just Paths? That would probably make is a bit more mysterious, thus interesting - people will wonder what that name's about, and the game got their attention.
~ AVL
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Some more suggestions:

Divide et Impera - latin for Divide and Rule - http://www.divideetimpera.org available

AOW4X - The Art Of War 4X Strategy Game - http://www.AOW4X.org available

MyWHG - My World History Game - http://www.mywhg.org is available
Sarilho1

Post by Sarilho1 »

AndreasR wrote:Divide et Impera - latin for Divide and Rule - http://www.divideetimpera.org available
I like this. If you want one word, the only one I thought was "Supremacy", but this a bit different from the idea of civilization.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Caedo wrote:
How about just Paths?
Sounds better, thought then we would need "longer name" for internal use at least, to distinguish if we are referring to the game as a whole or for example file paths, or something inside pathfinding code.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

cazfi wrote:
Caedo wrote:
How about just Paths?
Sounds better, thought then we would need "longer name" for internal use at least, to distinguish if we are referring to the game as a whole or for example file paths, or something inside pathfinding code.
Well, internally it could be called Paths Game.
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Caedo wrote:Well, internally it could be called Paths Game.
That would suffice as alternative to short "Paths" in almost any context when necessary (for example paths.org is not available, pathsgame.org is). Or the other way around - if "Paths Game" is the "full" name, it can be shortened as "Paths" where ever context allows. I guess short-prefix would then be "pg_" (namespace used by PostgreSQL, but as we currently have potential problems with FontConfig namespace (and earlier with MySQL ("my_")) that's an improvement)
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Back to latin... How about 'Civilitas' ? At least it has 'Civ' in it :D
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

It seems people have forgotten why I first started wondering if changing the name would be a good idea.
We were talking about proper writing of the single word "Freeciv" vs wrongly written "FreeCiv".
Davide wrote:However I believe that 'FreeCiv' better suggests the analogy with the commercial Civilizaton to the newcomer.
I actually hate the way how people read "freeciv" as "just a civ clone" when almost all the development is about features not present in original civ/2, and instead of hardcoded rules we have a very flexible ruleset format of which civ/2 rules are just one possible subset.
So, it was about having a name that would not make people to think exactly Civilization.
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

I also think it's a silly thing to do:

1. The similarity to the original cilization game is more an advantage rather than a disadvantage since you can easily detect that it is a free version of civilization. Exactly what I was looking for 11 years ago when the first time I played this game. My older brother independantly found it quickly the same way when he wanted to play it.
2. It is a civilization clone! Don't deny it! You may change all sort of thing but in the end it is Sid Meiers idea.
3. Everybody knows it under this name, why make things complicated? St. Petersburg was named in 1914 into Petrograd afterwards in Leningrad and finally back to St. Petersburg. It definetely confused me in history lessons many times!
4. I woudn't throw away 18 years of Freeciv history away just because it is right now in vogue to change project names. It even has a founding story of a few Danish students who were bored and decided to create the game. I think we owe it to them that at least we keep the name.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Our decision:

Main project name will not be changed, but "Paths" will be assumed as secondary name for freeciv-3, like "Freeciv-3: Paths"