Alien World

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Arbogast
Elite

Re: Alien World

Post by Arbogast »

I copied the text in the screenshot and it worked. It's different than the URL further up. Anyway, merci :D

(Later in the day...)
Sorry, but my woes are not over. When I wrote that 'it workerd', I was refering to the modpack read the URL correctly and I saw the different files being loaded. As I was short of time, I didn't go any further and shut down the system and went about my bizness.
I came back this afternoon happy to look/see this new ruleset. Alas, I couldn't find it in the entire freeciv folder. Tried again the freeciv-modpack and noticed that the Alien did not show in the window (as in cazfi's and handuman's screenshots). So I'm back to square one.
The pix is for info.
Attachments
installer.jpg
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:the Alien did not show in the window (as in cazfi's and handuman's screenshots).
That's because you have not started freeciv-modpack.exe (or .cmd) with the -L <URL> commandline option to show my alternative list of modpacks (currently alien and ancients).

To see if ruleset is already installed, start the client -> "Start New Game" and see if "alien" is selectable from "Ruleset Version" list.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

For alien-2.4-5 for most part the old documentation for 2.4-3 at http://www.cazfi.net/freeciv/alien/2.4-3/ applies.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Okeyyy... Finally got it together!
Started a game for a look/see and stumped. And I noticed that you guys are using my Red Truck for Freight. Thanks! :mrgreen:
Want the Icon? I also have a modern version for Settlers
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Sorry for this being so complicated at the moment, but Alien World really isn't ready enough to be included in default modpack.list freeciv-modpack promotes (this is also warning against getting too disappointed when using it). Goal is to get it to officially releasable state in freeciv-2.6 (with warning signs over that schedule already, I'm not happy with the progress I've been making).
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Look Monsieur Cazfi:
Freeciv is great game and all that. My woes are from not understanding the language used which is a mix of computerese and 'freecivise'. After a long while, I'm only beginning to understand the 'sprites' and 'tickets' here and in GNA!
But what about the icons? :)

Since there's no answer... Then...
Since the new Alien Set uses my Red Truck for Freight, I'm posting it for anyone who wants to replace the default one with mine. (It's easier to see)
(I wonder how the Adms got it without telling me).
Attachments
Ampli-Fret.png
Ampli-Fret.png (2.27 KiB) Viewed 8396 times
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:Since there's no answer... Then...
Sorry, I had forgotten I should look in to this.
Arbogast wrote:Since the new Alien Set uses my Red Truck for Freight
There's no publicly available tileset for Alien World, but you can use it with normal tilesets (it has all kind of stupid fallbacks). So it seems you are talking about default tileset, amplio2, Freight.
Arbogast wrote:(I wonder how the Adms got it without telling me).
It's part of original Amplio from the beginning (first commit 30-Aug-2005) with units.spec from the same commit saying:
; Apolyton Tileset created by CapTVK with thanks to the Apolyton Civ2
; Scenario Community.

; Special thanks go to:
; Alex Mor and Captain Nemo for their excellent graphics work
; in the scenarios 2194 days war, Red Front, 2nd front and other misc graphics.
; Fairline for his huge collection of original Civ2 unit spanning centuries
; Bebro for his collection of mediveal units and ships

artists = "
Alex Mor (Alex)
Allard H.S. Höfelt (AHS)
Bebro (BB)
Captain Nemo (Nemo)(MHN)
CapTVK (CT) <thomas@worldonline.nl>
Curt Sibling (CS)
Erwan (Erwan)
Fairline (GB)
GoPostal (GP)
Oprisan Sorin (Sor)
Tanelorn (T)
Vodvakov
"
Permissions for all the gfx was supposed to be asked from all the original authors.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

This is a little weird...
I made that red truck. Truth be told, I just colored it and added the Freeciv logo. (I still have the logo without the truck).
Since I have been pasting the truck into the different tilesets, the date-stamp has changed.
You are saying that the red truck is now part of the default amplio set?
Attachments
Free-LOGOsml2.png
Free-LOGOsml2.png (666 Bytes) Viewed 8384 times
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Err... do you mean that you got the Amplio truck and colored it red, and have it in tilesets of your own? Then you are just using your own tilesets with Alien ruleset (probably because it's saved to client settings). Amplio freight has not changed.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

looking back to an earlier amplio set (2.1.8 I think), I see that the truck is blue with GPL sides.
THAT's the default icon. That's the one I modified.
Meanwhile, I'm loading down a 2.3.x or 2.4.x to see what's what.
(Should this be in an open thread?)