Linux?

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
Corbeau
Elite

Linux?

Post by Corbeau »

Hello. I'm afraid that this may sound like a stupid question, but... Where is the Linux version of the game? In the Downloads section I see downloads for Windows and MacOS and the only thing remaining is the source code. Do I have to compile it if I want to start a server on Linux?

(I'm not too experienced with Linux, my last encounter with Unix was some 15 years ago and I could manage everything I needed, but I'm guessing a lot has changed since then...)
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
JTN
Elite

Re: Linux?

Post by JTN »

Corbeau wrote:Where is the Linux version of the game? In the Downloads section I see downloads for Windows and MacOS and the only thing remaining is the source code. Do I have to compile it if I want to start a server on Linux?
The only thing suitable for Linux that we distribute is source code, yes -- we leave compiled binaries to Linux distributions (Ubuntu etc). This is a fairly standard approach.
So you can install whatever version of Freeciv your distro has packaged from its own package manager, or you can compile it from source. (Or seek someone else's compiled version, such as from playdeb.net for Ubuntu -- note I have no opinion on this packaging, having never looked at it.)
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Thanks.

Is there an idiot's guide anywhere how to do this, by any chance?

(An additional problem is: I'm trying to get it run on a cPanel and I can't get SSH to work, but this is not the right place to ask about this, is it? I could probably solve any of the problems once I get in, but the catch is I simply can't find the entrance.)
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote:Is there an idiot's guide anywhere how to do this, by any chance?
If we're talking about installing freeciv package that is part of your distribution, that depends on the distribution you're using. Anyway, you really should learn how to handle those packages, for getting updates (including security related ones) to your system.

For example Debian and derivatives:
# Get the current list of packages from the server
> apt-get update
# Update your system
> apt-get upgrade
> apt-get dist-upgrade
# Install freeciv
> apt-get install freeciv
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Ok, thanks, I think this will help :)
--