Isometric Hexagonal Amplio? Ressurecting it or make it anew?

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
Y.?

Isometric Hexagonal Amplio? Ressurecting it or make it anew?

Post by Y.? »

Back in the day there was an experimental isometric hexagonal tileset derived from Amplio.

It was available as attachment on the old forum, but now there's no way of getting to it?

Any idea of how to get it? I'm thinking making a new hex tileset from Amplio shouldn't be that big a deal, but eh..

Is getting that file back even doable, or should I rather try to make a new tileset from the new Amplio?
HanduMan

Re: Isometric Hexagonal Amplio? Ressurecting it or make it a

Post by HanduMan »

Something like this?
ScreenShot176.jpg
ScreenShot178.jpg
I have it somewhere downloadable for 2.3 I think. These screenshots are form 2.4 but it is with the development set. I have not made it publishable for that version. And the development set is a mess.

If you think there is a request for this I might publish it for 2.4 also. Even if it is not fully complete. Which it will never be if it depends on my doings. It would need a little bit of this and that here and there to make it acceptable and I don't have the time for it anymore. Maybe you could continue from where I got it so far? I could pass on that mess of GIMP & .tileset files that make my development environment. :)

But I'd like you to ditch this attitude first. :twisted:
Y.? wrote:I'm thinking making a new hex tileset from Amplio shouldn't be that big a deal, but eh..
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Y.? wrote:Back in the day there was an experimental isometric hexagonal tileset derived from Amplio.
It was available as attachment on the old forum, but now there's no way of getting to it?
[...]
Is getting that file back even doable, or should I rather try to make a new tileset from the new Amplio?
By luck, I did manage to save all the file attachments from the old forum.freeciv.org just before it died, although with no context (all the posts are missing). If anyone has clues about filenames of interesting stuff, I can try to dig it out.
HanduMan wrote:If you think there is a request for this I might publish it for 2.4 also. Even if it is not fully complete.
Well, I'd love to see a hex Amplio. Really, the thing that's put me off ever playing hex is the lack of tilesets, much as I'd like to.

(If this is the version I'm thinking of, didn't it have improved jungles compared to regular Amplio too?)
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

JTN wrote:By luck, I did manage to save all the file attachments from the old forum.freeciv.org just before it died, although with no context (all the posts are missing). If anyone has clues about filenames of interesting stuff, I can try to dig it out.
The name would be a-phex or a2phex but I don't think I ever submitted it as an attachment, just download links.
JTN wrote:
HanduMan wrote:If you think there is a request for this I might publish it for 2.4 also. Even if it is not fully complete.
Well, I'd love to see a hex Amplio. Really, the thing that's put me off ever playing hex is the lack of tilesets, much as I'd like to.

(If this is the version I'm thinking of, didn't it have improved jungles compared to regular Amplio too?)
It did, but when Amplio2 was released (with improved jungles) I based my tileset on it (hence the "2" replacing the "-" ;) )

I found a version of it for Freeciv 2.3. It seems to include some custom bits for a custom ruleset. Intented for friends-only distribution. I took off the most obvious non-GPL stuff but there might be some more in it somewhere. I cannot remember for sure nor have I time in my hands atm to go through it all. It creates too big a zip file to be attached here, so I make it downloadable here. (File format: 7-zip.)

I remind you, it is not complete and not edited for publishing. But you can play with it to get the idea of an isometric hex tileset.
Y.?

Post by Y.? »

It's beautiful 8-) Good work.

I remind you, it is not complete and not edited for publishing. But you can play with it to get the idea of an isometric hex tileset.
I tried sketching how the hexes would look. It's probably doable, but
- Freeciv is an abysmal game from the civilization-simulation standpoint. As a timesink, I prefer Alpha Centauri but it has crummy AI.
- your hex-set for 2.3 looks very good :-)

I currently only work part time and I'm thinking it's time for me to write a better game in Java. What better way of learning the language? Besides it'd look good on my resumé.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

I'd like to point out that I already made a larger iso hex (though based originally off isophex, much of it is actually modified amplio2 things) two threads down, might see about using that and using chopped (and maybe resized?) amplio tiles to replace the enlarged isophex ones that remain. Note that the code does not even try to load nw/up and se/down river mouth tiles. My forest and jungle overlay tiles could probably be used as-is though. Additionally you might have to alter the nw/up and se/down connecting river tiles after chopping them.

Couldn't resist starting myself lol. converting my isophexbig over to amplio is, for the most part, going smoothly :)
I've come a long, long way from my original problems in trying to make a larger hex tileset, Though I imagine I'm going to hit a major snag with the coast tiles.
ampliohexgsss.jpg
Last edited by GriffonSpade on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

Y.? wrote:It's beautiful 8-) Good work.
Thank you! :)

Though I must say that all the beauty in it comes form those parts of Amplio2 that survived my cutting and pasting. Not all did, I'm afraid. :(

I have next no none artistic skills and that is what this tileset would need to make it complete. And some spare time which is the other thing I don't have. :roll:

EDIT: In case I have expressed myself unclearly - the a2phex linked above is a fully playable tileset. It just needs some finishing and editorial work to be called ready.
Y.?

Post by Y.? »

Though I must say that all the beauty in it comes form those parts of Amplio2 that survived my cutting and pasting. Not all did, I'm afraid.
Yeah, but still - you took the time to do it. And it looks okay. A little too 'flat'.

And it's not squarish. I can't stand the original set- it makes the game seem so unnatural..
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Handuman, is it bad what I'm most impressed with, of all things in your tileset, is your pine trees? :D

....may I use them in my tileset? My attempts at making a taiga tile have been....yeah. :?
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

GriffonSpade wrote:Handuman, is it bad what I'm most impressed with, of all things in your tileset, is your pine trees? :D

....may I use them in my tileset? My attempts at making a taiga tile have been....yeah. :?
Not my pine trees. I copied them from somewhere for a custom terrain (Arctic forest). I'm suspecting Freeland by Peter Arbor, have to check it some day.

I believe they have originally been released under some GPL so you can use them as you wish if you think that those isometric sprites fit in your non-isometric tileset. You don't need my permission for it.