Now they have found us :(

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
HanduMan

Now they have found us :(

Post by HanduMan »

It has been on my mind to ask the admins of this forum about how are you keeping the spammers out...but it just took a while for them to find this site?

In another forum that I am administering I set new registrations to be activated by admins. I didn't want to but had no choise. It was a year ago. Since then I have received 5305 notifications about new registrations. And activated 64.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Now they have found us :(

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

I don't think that's a good thing for public forums like this one. Smaller forums, like for a specific clan where you have to write an application and everything, ok, but it wouldn't be that good for this big forum. I'm not sure how to keep the spambots out though. I guess reporting and banning is the best way at first.
~ AVL
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Spaming? Here? I haven't noticed anything...
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Arbogast wrote:Spaming? Here? I haven't noticed anything...
This here. Not really spamming in that way, but advertising. Off-topic stuff with a link to a website somewhere in it. A different forum I'm on is visited by spambots all the time, and as far as I can tell, that thread is a spambot's work.
~ AVL
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

Caedo wrote:
This here. Not really spamming in that way, but advertising. Off-topic stuff with a link to a website somewhere in it. A different forum I'm on is visited by spambots all the time, and as far as I can tell, that thread is a spambot's work.
Also this one, I'm afraid. Seems so innocent but could really be posted in any forum. Nothing in it relates to this forum. I don't know what the purpose of it is but I've seen a lot of those before.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

HanduMan wrote:
Caedo wrote:
Also this one, I'm afraid. Seems so innocent but could really be posted in any forum. Nothing in it relates to this forum. I don't know what the purpose of it is but I've seen a lot of those before.
It's soome kind of first wave of spam, probably testing how spam prevention here works. Once that kind of messages get through, mass spamming with real spam starts (I've seen that development before).