Runtime Error!

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
milsu

Runtime Error!

Post by milsu »

I receive a "Runtime Error!" each time during the picking of AI players. It says: "Insufficient memory to create the bitmap." My computer is Pentium 4 with 1 GB of RAM, I use Windows XP SP3, and "Freeciv-2.4.0-gtk2". I don't have any other program running at the same time, except for the "Game Booster", which boosts my computer performance by 42%, and has been working fine with the previous versions of "Freeciv".
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Runtime Error!

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

milsu wrote:with 1 GB of RAM
That's probably the problem(since insufficient memory means not enough RAM). How many players are there?
~ AVL
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

milsu wrote:I receive a "Runtime Error!" each time during the picking of AI players. It says: "Insufficient memory to create the bitmap."
Hm. When you say "picking the AI players", what exactly are you doing? Picking nations for them?

I don't think that error message comes from Freeciv itself. A random Google hit suggests it comes from Windows' user32.dll. (Does it also say "Close one or more applications to increase available memory."?)

I don't know what kind of "bitmap" it's referring to (or what Freeciv might be trying to do that leads to this error message).
milsu wrote:I don't have any other program running at the same time, except for the "Game Booster", which boosts my computer performance by 42%, and has been working fine with the previous versions of "Freeciv".
Hm. If this is reproducible, does it by any chance go away if you disable "Game Booster"?
Caedo wrote:
milsu wrote:with 1 GB of RAM
That's probably the problem(since insufficient memory means not enough RAM). How many players are there?
My gut feel is that 1GB really ought to be enough for the pregame (before the map is generated and AIs get going).

My instinct is that it's some bug rather than a genuine lack of memory to do the job (memory leak, accidental allocation of 2Gbytes instead of 4 bytes, that kind of thing). But I don't have much evidence, nor much idea how to get to the bottom of it.
milsu

Post by milsu »

JTN wrote:Hm. When you say "picking the AI players", what exactly are you doing? Picking nations for them?
Yes, picking the nations.
JTN wrote:Hm. If this is reproducible, does it by any chance go away if you disable "Game Booster"?
Yes, when I turn off "Game Booster", everything is fine. It seems like the newest version of Freeciv doesn't support "Game Booster" for some reason.