The bug report page doesn't work

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
gatorized

The bug report page doesn't work

Post by gatorized »

Attempting to submit a ticket at https://osdn.net/projects/freeciv/ticket/ results in error 502.

I occasionally get the following error when starting a new game : in package_player_info() [../../../../server/plrhand.c::1159]: assertion 'game.info.turn < 1' failed

Whenever this error occurs, there are always several instances of it; in the four player game I just started, there are eight copies of it. However, the game starts with no issues, and I have played games to completion that threw this error without ever encountering any unexpected behavior or crashes.
cazfi
Elite

Re: The bug report page doesn't work

Post by cazfi »

Which freeciv version? Which ruleset?

There's assert like that on line 1171 (not 1159) on freeciv-3.0 HEAD. That one is affirming that player color (e.g. border color) is properly set after the game has started.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Looking at 2.6 code, the assert is exactly the same there, despite number of the first actual turn being changed from 0 in 2.6 to 1 in later versions. It's possible that the assert is overzealous, and some color setup happens only in the beginning of the first turn (after the turn number has already been set to 1)
gatorized

Post by gatorized »

cazfi wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:36 am Which freeciv version? Which ruleset?

There's assert like that on line 1171 (not 1159) on freeciv-3.0 HEAD. That one is affirming that player color (e.g. border color) is properly set after the game has started.
civ2civ3
Freeciv version 3.0.8-msys2, gui-gtk-3.22 client.
Built against gtk+ 3.24.34, using 3.24.34
Built against glib 2.72.1, using 2.72.1
gatorized

Post by gatorized »

So this project's dead huh?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

gatorized wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:29 pm So this project's dead huh?
As latest release has been made less than 24h ago, I don't think so.

Resolving the bug tracking issue unfortunately takes some time, but that's temporary.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

This is now bug #1 in our new redmine instance: https://redmine.freeciv.org/issues/1
DavidN

The program keeps crashing and the Mac version doesn't work properly

Post by DavidN »

I only have Macs as I find they are a far superior machine.

I was using playonmac to be able to play a 32 bit version of freeciv. However, the latest versions seem to crash all the time, you can download and setup and it will work for a few days and then crash over and over.

I have tried using other modules like Crossover, they are just a waste of time. Playonmac actually supports you if the program is registered with them and they will make sure it works, so can you please arrange to register the program with them.

It seems this is a wine configuration issue and the program keeps on representing itself as a 64 bit program when it is a 32 bit program and so playonmac fails because of this misrepresentation by freeciv itself.

I have tried the Mac version as well - has anyone actually tested it. It is a waste of time, the graphics dont work properly and the pages are all zoomed out. the buttons dont work and the page is so small that you cannot see anything properly. I suspect this is something to do with the graphic representation and I can confirm that (at least some of) the buttons are usable but just not in the position that the graphics suggest.

However, the program is utterly unusable.

I am using a Mac mini. with Sonoma 14.2.1
cazfi
Elite

Re: The program keeps crashing and the Mac version doesn't work properly

Post by cazfi »

DavidN wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:15 pmI have tried the Mac version as well - has anyone actually tested it.
3.1.0-beta1? That's the only Mac build we have done in over an decade - some individuals have been trying to make and build third party builds, though. Notably we have not made builds after beta1, either. Seems we lost the team member who was making it. There was one serious-sounding bug reported with beta1. It was fixed according to my best guesswork, so new builds could work if someone did them.

Building freeciv-3.1 for mac from source is not trivial, but not very hard either. There's "platforms/macos/homebrew-appbundle.sh" to do the work, though I don't know if it's enough.

Edit: Seems to me that it doesn't handle homebrew installation, so presumably that needs to be installed manually first. Though at that point you may simply install homebrew's freeciv version.