Some Conceptual Ideas (Are They Good?)

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Eusebio Ptolomeu

Some Conceptual Ideas (Are They Good?)

Post by Eusebio Ptolomeu »

This post is more about some mechanic ideas that I've seen being suggested for different 4x games on the web, I would like to know if they are possible and, most important, interesting gameplay-wise for a game like Freeciv. Really this post is more to see the opinions around these concepts and mechanics: would they be feasible in Freeciv? How hard would it be to implement then, given the game's current capabilities? And how desirable would they be for the purposes of the game? So here are they, in no particular order:

1- LIMITED EARLY EXPLORATION
It's apparently quite possible for a civilization to discover and map its whole continent while in the Bronze Age. Now, the ancient world could be more connected than we assume, but I don't think any civilization before the Modern Era had a good comprehensive grasp of the whole of Eurasia, for example. This could be fixed implementing some sorte of mechanic related to how the reveal status of tiles work in the earlier games. The idea is that every explored tile outside the player's FOV (those who appear greyed-out, in shadows) would revert back to an unexplored tile (those who appears as completely dark spots on the map), until some specific tech were researched, map-making or cartography, for example. Sure, you could still send explorers to uncover the continent, but given that their discoveries would disappear again as soon as they moved, it wouldn't be very that cost-effective. I think this would have the interesting effect on making the world appear "constrained", small, in the early game, thus simulating what I assume to be a feeling real earlier civilizations might had in the past.

2- LOGISTICS
Army logistics always play a major role in battles and war, a role big enough that I think it could be interesting to emulate in a game like Freeciv. There are different ways this could be attempted, here. One of them is to do as that Charlemagne campaign in Civ IV, where they have a supply wagon unit: basically speaking, most units wouldn't be able to heal themselves in outside (or at leas enemy) territory anymore, unless under the aura of a supply wagon unit, maybe a 3x3 grid around the thing. Of course, some specific units could still be able to do so as an special feature, and maybe we could allow units to heal themselves in enemy territory if stationed in certain worked tiles, like farms (you know, your troops abusing the resources of the enemy). This could create an interesting weak link on what is, otherwise, an unbeatable army. Imagine having your major force neutralized because the enmy sent a spy to sabotage your supply wagon unit? Sure, your soldiers would still be there, but they would be unable to heal thenselves, while your enemy's troops retain this ability given that they are in friendly territory.

3- WAR AFFECTS MORALE
When Hanibbal was marching trough Italy, each lost battle just made the Romans more and more nervous and doubtful about the power of their leaders; similarly, Russia's failures in its war against Japan and WWI made the tzarist power weaken more and more, helping to pave way for its abolishment. Wars can build or destroy the morale of a nation, depending on how it is going; I think this could be simulated more in Freeciv. The idea being that each unit lost in a battle would incur a temporary negative effect in every city across the nation, making people a little more angry and a little more prone to revolt, thus making war even more costly; losing cities would be even worse, depending on how big the city was. Now, on the positive side, victorious engagements could have a positive boost troughout the empire, so if you're so sure of your odds, this could be a way to persuade an otherwise impatient population not to revolt.

4- "COLONIES"
The idea here would be to make colonies more expensive to maintain, and easier to seceed. Now, first, we need to define the concept of a "colony": a colony would be any city which is not continuously connected to the territory of your capital. Cities far away enough for the territory generate by them to not be able to attach to your main territory: those cities which create "pockets" of territories far away from your capital. Any city inside such a territory should be treated as a colony, and it should suffer a penalty that makes it harder to maintain it; perharps corruption suffers an extra boost here (compounding with the already present effect of simple distance to capital); maybe units and buildings are more expensive to create and maintain. You know, things that make colonies somewhat harder to control than your normal city on your mainland. Naturally, a city status as a colony can be erased if you're able to connect its territory with your capital's.

5- SECESSION
Cities already revolt in the game, but what if they really, really couldn't take it anymore and decided to outright secede from your nation? Kind of a small-scale civil war, it could be one city only. Once seceded, this city would retain any unit "homed" to it, and a proportional amount of your money.

6- TECH BRINGS CHAOS
This one can be a bit odd, but consider this: advancements in tech bring a change in lifestlye and views, and a change in lifestyle and views could affect the prevailing order somewhat. Maybe each technology you discover could cause a bit amount of chaos around your nation. Maybe just a little temporary bit, but if you acquire lots of tech in a single take, this could add up towards a major upset. This could make the idea of gaining tech at all cost have its costs and make it harder to counterbalance your edge on innovations with the very stability of your nation.

These are some ideas I've seen being trhowed around on foruns and such, I would like to know what you guys think of concepts like this? Feasible? Or event interesting? All of these would make the game even more complicated (not to mention having to change the AI in order to accomodate such chages ), I guess, so this could be a negative; but as Dwarf Fortress teached us, sometimes losing can be fun
cazfi
Elite

Re: Some Conceptual Ideas (Are They Good?)

Post by cazfi »

Eusebio Ptolomeu wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:32 pm1- LIMITED EARLY EXPLORATION
It's apparently quite possible for a civilization to discover and map its whole continent while in the Bronze Age. Now, the ancient world could be more connected than we assume, but I don't think any civilization before the Modern Era had a good comprehensive grasp of the whole of Eurasia, for example. This could be fixed implementing some sorte of mechanic related to how the reveal status of tiles work in the earlier games. The idea is that every explored tile outside the player's FOV (those who appear greyed-out, in shadows) would revert back to an unexplored tile (those who appears as completely dark spots on the map), until some specific tech were researched, map-making or cartography, for example. Sure, you could still send explorers to uncover the continent, but given that their discoveries would disappear again as soon as they moved, it wouldn't be very that cost-effective. I think this would have the interesting effect on making the world appear "constrained", small, in the early game, thus simulating what I assume to be a feeling real earlier civilizations might had in the past.
You other suggestions could might work as ruleset features, but problem with this is that we can't take the information back, from the player (human), once we've released it. If player has seen the map, hiding it in the game is only a usability misfeature - player who wants to have the advantage of knowing the map then just have to maintain the map on paper, or take some other similar action.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Yup. We just can make primary exploring units slow and shortsight. Or maybe so: a unit can't see unexplored tile until it tries entering it, and when it enters, it loses all movement. Land tiles are seen in smaller radius when looking from sea tiles, and most units are not seen on them.
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

Or make it so units can only move in known territory, and use Lua to reveal tiles according to the players technological and cultural status.
Civ 3 tileset: viewtopic.php?t=92953
3d Irrlicht desktop client development: viewtopic.php?t=92289&start=20
Eusebio Ptolomeu

Post by Eusebio Ptolomeu »

Thanks for the answers, everybody.
but problem with this is that we can't take the information back, from the player (human), once we've released it
When you say that, do you mean the problem lies more on the code, as in it would be very hard to change the system?
About the human player easily dealing with it away, yeah, I admit is not the most fail-proof mechanic ever :) . I don't think it would be well suited for multiplayer games for said reason, but maybe a single player could decide to play a match honestly about it, just for the sake of fun and challenge. I think it should be easy to make sure AIs don't have this kind of edge (of course assuming such a change is even possible, considering the chance of the code not being suitable for this mechanic).
Or maybe so: a unit can't see unexplored tile until it tries entering it, and when it enters, it loses all movement
I like this idea; maybe we could make a unit spend all of its remaining movement points whenever a black tile gets explored. Is it possible for the code to understand which particular unit explored a dark tile? Such a knowledge would be necessary in order for the game to give this movement penalty for the correct unit.
Of course, in a square-grid map, savy players would realize that, given that no matter how many dark tiles were explored this turn (if 1 or all possible 8) the pentaly would be the same, one could make exploration more efficient by moving units always in a diagonal path (more dark tiles explored per turn), but that's fine. Idk, maybe Freeciv Sun Tzu would write a chapter about it :P
We could make said penalty only apply for land units, leaving naval and air units unnafcted, making exploration trough these methods somewhat preferable trough these means. We also could lift this penalty for explorer and scout units, to represent their speciality in exploration.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Eusebio Ptolomeu wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:31 pm
but problem with this is that we can't take the information back, from the player (human), once we've released it
When you say that, do you mean the problem lies more on the code, as in it would be very hard to change the system?
Oh, I think that the change is possible in freeciv-3.1 even without any engine changes, in a ruleset or scenario level. The lua scripting has ability to hide tiles, and likely someone can come up with a satisfactory ways to hide correct tiles at satisfactory time.