Set up for Freeciv-web

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
jgauthier

Set up for Freeciv-web

Post by jgauthier »

I played FreeCiv a long, long time ago. I 'd like to play it again. I was looking at Freeciv-web and I noticed its requirements:
Freeciv - the Freeciv C server, which is checked out from the official Git repository, and patched to work with a WebSocket/JSON protocol. Implemented in C.

Freeciv-proxy - a WebSocket proxy which allows WebSocket clients in Freeciv-web to send socket requests to Freeciv servers. WebSocket requests are sent from Javascript in Freeciv-web to nginx, which then proxies the WebSocket messages to freeciv-proxy, which finally sends Freeciv socket requests to the Freeciv servers. Implemented in Python.
So it sounds like the bundled freeciv server has patches for Websocket communications.
But below that it mentioned freeciv-proxy which sounds like it proxies the websocket to standard freeciv communications.

Are BOTH required, or can I just use the proxy with the unpatched server?

Thanks for the clarification.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Set up for Freeciv-web

Post by cazfi »

jgauthier wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:18 pm I played FreeCiv a long, long time ago. I 'd like to play it again. I was looking at Freeciv-web and I noticed its requirements:
Freeciv - the Freeciv C server, which is checked out from the official Git repository, and patched to work with a WebSocket/JSON protocol. Implemented in C.

Freeciv-proxy - a WebSocket proxy which allows WebSocket clients in Freeciv-web to send socket requests to Freeciv servers. WebSocket requests are sent from Javascript in Freeciv-web to nginx, which then proxies the WebSocket messages to freeciv-proxy, which finally sends Freeciv socket requests to the Freeciv servers. Implemented in Python.
So it sounds like the bundled freeciv server has patches for Websocket communications.
But below that it mentioned freeciv-proxy which sounds like it proxies the websocket to standard freeciv communications.

Are BOTH required, or can I just use the proxy with the unpatched server?

Thanks for the clarification.
The compatible server is being built as part of freeciv-web build, including the patching step.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

jgauthier wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:18 pm I played FreeCiv a long, long time ago. I 'd like to play it again. I was looking at Freeciv-web and I noticed its requirements:
If you want to play solo, the native client is trivial to install. Easier by orders of magnitude.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
jgauthier

Post by jgauthier »

cazfi wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:47 pm The compatible server is being built as part of freeciv-web build, including the patching step.
Thanks! I just used the docker build (with customizations) and let it do its thing!
jgauthier

Post by jgauthier »

Corbeau wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:26 pm If you want to play solo, the native client is trivial to install. Easier by orders of magnitude.
Definitely want multiplayer! I was able to get this working with the docker build for the most part.
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

The standard local freeciv can handle multiplayer as well. I think freeciv web just adds some hosting tools and a browser client.
Civ 3 tileset: viewtopic.php?t=92953
3d Irrlicht desktop client development: viewtopic.php?t=92289&start=20
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

I mean, Freeciv was made for multiplayer...
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...