Graphics Development

Create your freeciv related polls here. Select polls might get copied to other forums, such as freeciv twitter account.

3D graphics or animations?

Animations
20%
3D
No votes
UI improvements
80%

Total votes: 5

Elefant
Hardened

Re: Graphics Development

Post by Elefant »

If the ability to animate units is added, I can update my civ 3 unit converter to make animated graphics.
Civ 3 tileset: viewtopic.php?t=92953
3d Irrlicht desktop client development: viewtopic.php?t=92289&start=20
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Elefant wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:42 pm If the ability to animate units is added, I can update my civ 3 unit converter to make animated graphics.
Gtk4-client development is linked to this in that it's not currently really using the smarts of the older clients (from time when drawing all those graphical layers was expensive operation processing -wise) to minimize areas to redraw on screen. So, as it does full redraws anyway, animations are a lot more feasible than attempts to implement them "smartly" (especially animations of some lower layer where you would need part of the non-animated layer restored on top of the animation after each frame)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Elefant wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:31 pmI would also like to be able to set different graphics for units, depending on what action they are performing.
Do you really mean actions (immediate) or activities (lasts at least until turn change) (some "actions" just start "activities")?
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

Both would be good. Maybe lua control over it would make it easier to expand based on what the tileset author wants. So, the author could define a lua function for each graphic that would tell the client what animation to use in what situation.
Civ 3 tileset: viewtopic.php?t=92953
3d Irrlicht desktop client development: viewtopic.php?t=92289&start=20
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:36 pm There has not been much development on that front since 3.0 (meaning both already-frozen 3.1, and 3.2 far in its development)
There's support for city style specific citizen icons in 3.2: viewtopic.php?t=92155 , but I can't think anything else finished (I have a couple of things in development)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Elefant wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:31 pmdifferent graphics for units, depending on what action they are performing.
Improvement on that front, that should be easy to bring to freeciv-3.2 already (no need for major rework from what we already have there): https://osdn.net/projects/freeciv/ticket/46387
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:39 am
Elefant wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:31 pmdifferent graphics for units, depending on what action they are performing.
Improvement on that front, that should be easy to bring to freeciv-3.2 already (no need for major rework from what we already have there): https://osdn.net/projects/freeciv/ticket/46387
Could we have some demonstration graphics for this, e.g., using S3_2-alpha1?
DotoLiaxy

Post by DotoLiaxy »

Have you considered providing demonstration graphics or examples to showcase the implementation of different graphics for units based on their actions or activities in Freeciv-3.2?
:)