How to conquer cities?

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
Limyx826

How to conquer cities?

Post by Limyx826 »

Practically stuck in war state for I think at least 20 turns now. There are two bloc at war at each other, one bloc of 4 civs including myself, other of 2 civs. The war start at around the time I researched pikemen and now is the era of gunpower. Non of us able to conquer a city, I have like 3 legions, 2 horsemen, 2 chariots and 2 catapult attack a city with 3 pikemens but all failed. Is it because of the new default rulesets that cause this problem?

I also noticed AI tends to colonise very fast by around 20 turn a single large landmass will be fully populated by cities. Each AI civ will have like 6-7 cities close together but I will only have 3-4 cities that spread in an area. I wonder if there are better strategy now in FreeCiv since I haven't play FreeCiv in years now.
I am Limyx826.
Ignatus
Elite

Re: How to conquer cities?

Post by Ignatus »

Limyx826 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:20 am Practically stuck in war state for I think at least 20 turns now. There are two bloc at war at each other, one bloc of 4 civs including myself, other of 2 civs. The war start at around the time I researched pikemen and now is the era of gunpower. Non of us able to conquer a city, I have like 3 legions, 2 horsemen, 2 chariots and 2 catapult attack a city with 3 pikemens but all failed. Is it because of the new default rulesets that cause this problem?
Yup, Freeciv has pretty roundly stacking def bonuses. Also, horses are not strong vs cities and especially pikes (not so much in the new ruleset as before but still). Spend some time in damage calculator and bring a really tough party.
I also noticed AI tends to colonise very fast by around 20 turn a single large landmass will be fully populated by cities. Each AI civ will have like 6-7 cities close together but I will only have 3-4 cities that spread in an area. I wonder if there are better strategy now in FreeCiv since I haven't play FreeCiv in years now.
Few things have changed since long ago. AI is still good in one thing - initial spamming with tiny cities. It gives nice growth in the start but backfires in later game due to empire size fines and no place to grow for each city in the cluster. If you could not roll over the civ with horses before they got pikes, you can go largepox and build some good buildings and wonders, and then use your ability to concentrate troops and plan the campaign that AI lacks. Actually, you can search the forum for strategy tips, an expdrienced player does not need many cities to conquer the world.
Limyx826

Re: How to conquer cities?

Post by Limyx826 »

Ignatus wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:24 pm Few things have changed since long ago. AI is still good in one thing - initial spamming with tiny cities. It gives nice growth in the start but backfires in later game due to empire size fines and no place to grow for each city in the cluster. If you could not roll over the civ with horses before they got pikes, you can go largepox and build some good buildings and wonders, and then use your ability to concentrate troops and plan the campaign that AI lacks. Actually, you can search the forum for strategy tips, an expdrienced player does not need many cities to conquer the world.
About wonders cause I think because my research output is low that most of the wonders have been taken by other civs. The ones available left is not I desired, heck even when I almost finished a wonder then other civs finished it earlier by 1 or 2 turns. I just bad at FreeCiv, might need new strategy.
I am Limyx826.