Freeciv 2.6.8 (SDL2 client) font size ingame is too small for me to read what i need to read

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
tigertoes

Freeciv 2.6.8 (SDL2 client) font size ingame is too small for me to read what i need to read

Post by tigertoes »

all info i have seen does not match the options setup, thus, i cannot set fontsize. please help.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Freeciv 2.6.8 (SDL2 client) font size ingame is too small for me to read what i need to read

Post by cazfi »

tigertoes wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:56 am all info i have seen does not match the options setup, thus, i cannot set fontsize. please help.
By quick check I don't see sdl2-client having any font options. I'll check things in more detail, but that might take a while.
tigertoes

Re: Freeciv 2.6.8 (SDL2 client) font size ingame is too small for me to read what i need to read

Post by tigertoes »

that is fine, i really wanna play, but have died horrible deaths because i cant read the messages without face right into screen (so i dont read them) i will wait as long as it takes
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Out of curiosity: Are you still going to stick to freeciv-2.6 for some time, or are you switching to 3.0 soon? (Or: Are you ever going to use 2.6.9 if we release one? Trying to figure out how much effort it makes sense to put in fixing bugs in 2.6 series)
tigertoes

Post by tigertoes »

i started with 3.0.6 but dumped it as i could not get square tiles... i DO NOT like hex tiles, sorry...
so a friend of mine and i decided to try 2.6.8 sdl... he is linux i am windows... if i cant get it to work with larger text, i will not continue dying for the sake of freeciv

freeciv is new to me... have no idea of what has gone on before or what is planned for future... it looks like fun, but i am just not getting the info i need to have in order to live...

i have done some looking around in the code and saw how the text areas seem to be defined as to the size... was wondering if i made the window bigger, does the text get bigger... if so, then that might be an option... maybe i can define the areas larger... however, i am running on a laptop which does not allow LARGE windows...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

tigertoes wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:48 am i started with 3.0.6 but dumped it as i could not get square tiles...
Map topology is controlled by server setting "topology", and client needs to use tileset matching map topology.
tigertoes

Post by tigertoes »

so the ingame messages and such are tied to that somehow?

just realized you were discussing the hex instead of square tiles...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

tigertoes wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:13 am so the ingame messages and such are tied to that somehow?
No. Just pointing out that square tiles work in 3.0 just like in earlier versions. The only change is that they are not the default.

As for problems with sdl2-client, you of course always have the option to switch to some better supported client. Gtk3.22 as the default client should be most feature-complete, and Qt-client is close too. Sdl2-client is currently improving quickly, but it's not at the same level with the other clients yet.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

I've now opened three (bug) tickets about the situation:

#47681 is an internal detail how theme defined font size is used
#47703 is about theme defined font size being ignored. Once this is fixed, one can adjust font size at least by modifying the theme
#47704 are the actual font settings
tigertoes

Post by tigertoes »

i thank you for this very much