[Linux] Freeciv-sdl2 client does not display properly

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
grodzio1

[Linux] Freeciv-sdl2 client does not display properly

Post by grodzio1 »

The sdl2 client appears to not display properly, in fact, it doesn't show anything at all, there's only a black screen, and anything that is displayed on top of the window. Sound appears to be working fine. Other clients such as GTK3 work without an issue. I'm using Void Linux musl, and the GPU is integrated into the Intel GM965 chipset, using Intel's DDX driver. SDL2 is, of course, also installed since it's pulled as a dependency.
Attachments
freeciv-error_000.png
freeciv-error_000.png (48.06 KiB) Viewed 3906 times
cazfi
Elite

Re: [Linux] Freeciv-sdl2 client does not display properly

Post by cazfi »

grodzio1 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:55 pm The sdl2 client appears to not display properly, in fact, it doesn't show anything at all, there's only a black screen, and anything that is displayed on top of the window. Sound appears to be working fine. Other clients such as GTK3 work without an issue. I'm using Void Linux musl, and the GPU is integrated into the Intel GM965 chipset, using Intel's DDX driver. SDL2 is, of course, also installed since it's pulled as a dependency.
Do other sdl2 programs work fine?

Testing whether freeciv works at all with musl has long been in my TODO list - good to hear that the other clients work -> indicates that the entire server and the things common to all clients (at least mostly) work.

I'll try to get some kind of Void Linux musl installation done for investigating this. It would be good if you could report this to the bugtracker: https://osdn.net/ticket/newticket.php?group_id=12505

Do flatpaks work on Void Linux musl? So would it be possible to install the sdl2-client flatpak? (of course, even if it would technically work, it might be against the very reasons you're running musl in the first place)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

This repository, and the freeciv recipe within, seems the one where void-linux packages are defined: https://github.com/void-linux/void-pack ... v/template

The freeciv version there is 3.0.3, so two releases behind at the moment (some fixes made since 3.0.3 might be relevant; like https://osdn.net/projects/freeciv/ticket/46000 improving error reporting and debugging support in cases like this)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:07 pmI'll try to get some kind of Void Linux musl installation done for investigating this.
With Void Linux / musl Virtual Machine I've built sdl2-client both from freeciv 3.0 HEAD and 3.0.3 release, and did not see such problem. I'm running gnome on that VM at the moment.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

grodzio1 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:55 pmthe GPU is integrated into the Intel GM965 chipset, using Intel's DDX driver.
There's also option to use sw renderer. Obviously you can't go to change settings on the client (and as a gui-specific setting, it's not adjustable on those other clients that work). But you should be able to edit it directly to "~/.freeciv/freeciv-client-rc-?.?".
Add (or edit) [client] section entry "gui_sdl2_swrenderer=TRUE"
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:28 pmThere's also option to use sw renderer. Obviously you can't go to change settings on the client (and as a gui-specific setting, it's not adjustable on those other clients that work).
-> https://osdn.net/projects/freeciv/ticket/47300