Trading Help Tool

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
PatTheCatMcDonald

Trading Help Tool

Post by PatTheCatMcDonald »

ONE feature I'd love to see is (boringly) a General Ledger listing all of your trade routes. When they were founded. How big the relevant cities were at the time. How much trade they have generated since being formed.

It's such a faff trying to make sense of the visual displa of trade routes, and unless you write a note of each new one, the history of a players trade network can be enigmatic at best. I'm not saying replace the graphical option but it would be very handy to have a simple text alternative.

It might even be handy for the AI, I know it's configured to apply any available paths that are deemed "safe to travel" but in terms of scaling up (redoing a trade route because the cities have changed in size a lot) will genrate a lot more trade than the existing route.

You could expand the idea into a Trade Advisor, giving some idea of how your network trade network measures up against the other players. That would help prod players into building them up and getting the full profit. Also, a list of which trade routes are currently closed due to war (if the ruleset has that option set).

OK, military players won't care, but builders like me would find it pretty darn useful for building up enough cash to bribe unruly neighbours. Spies and freight can bring down empires without firing a shot.