Galactic Milieu

Join us, meet players from all around the world, challenge the strongest top players, practice and be one of them!
PatTheCatMcDonald

Re: Galactic Milieu

Post by PatTheCatMcDonald »

Ah... just tried to install the dev version of curl and it wants the dev version of openssl first.

Yup, cut down distro of curl without dev bits seems the issue. I'll tinker with it a little more.

EDIT: Now openssl is demanding Perl. It's already installed. The source is 3.9GB. I think I'll stop at that point.

I am beginning to think Feren is basically a cardboard cutout of LInux without actually being a real distro.

EDIT EDIT: Put on Perl from source, put on OpenSSL from source, curl.dev still needs a dependency. lua-openssl or some such.

Getting there but I think it needs a hand compile to really get curl.dev happily installed.

My problem here is that I don't have a curl.dev folder to install from, just the one from the curl website. So I'll try getting that onto the system before I declare a stuck situation.

I'm trying;-

sudo apt-get install curl.dev

And that progresses a few steps before it throws the lua-openssl broken dependency error, which suggest the openssl.dev install didn't really do anything.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Ah, finally got a step further in FreeCiv3 configure after just adding;-

sudo apt-get install libghc-curl.dev

Now it complains because it can't find icu.dev. Why anybody would want to see me is a somewhat conjectural question...
Last edited by PatTheCatMcDonald on Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

PatTheCatMcDonald wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:51 am Ah... just tried to install the dev version of curl and it wants the dev version of openssl first.
I am beginning to think Feren is basically a cardboard cutout of LInux without actually being a real distro.
sudo apt-get install curl.dev
Sounds weird if their version of apt-get does not automatically install whole dependency tree of the package being installed.
PatTheCatMcDonald

It's OK, I think I'm getting a little further into the process now I've worked out how to add things from the shell.

After putting icu.dev on the system, configure passed and the make has started. It's taking a while but seems to be going OK. :)

Probably didn't need dev versions of perl or openssl but it didn't hurt to have them too. Nevermind the game, my Linux horizon just got expanded LOTS... :)
PatTheCatMcDonald

Update - EPIC DISASTER but funny and absolutely typical for me.

After much stumbling around trying to run the compiled version directly (and a few attempts at different GUI options) I gave up and tried running my existing 2.6 install.

The 3.05 front end popped up and all my saves are missing.

I daresay they're still around somewhere on the hard disk but I really can't be bothered to track them down right now.

Hey, people have been known to give me money to break software. If there's a way to fscrew it up, I'm pretty confident about finding it without even looking for it.

EDIT: Sorted now, got both new and old versions, modpack and ruleset editors for V3, all good. I think the native Linux version runs at over teice the speed of a WIne Windows version. And the keyboard shortcuts work too. :)