Civilization V civics - Freeciv

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
ngunjaca
Veteran

Civilization V civics - Freeciv

Post by ngunjaca »

I have finally read about some concepts in the new Civilization games (IV and V) and find some of the ideas interesting.
Especially the "civics" caught my eye and after looking into them the concept of civics is surely a fresh idea for Freeciv too.
Anyway here is an picture from the civics:
Basically you can choose one type of Government, Legal, Labor etc. civic and then they have certain impacts on your civilization.
It would be cool that someday we have a similar concept in Freeciv whereas the moders can make new civics and define their effects in the effects.ruleset (the effects are actually quite basic impacts on production, gold, upkeep etc.. something we already have in Freeciv). The only thing we miss is a menu where the Player can choose one of the civics.
I have also read a web page on our Freeciv wikia on similar topic http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Advanced_Governments
I would like to see this implemented for some of the future Freeciv versions as it would enhance gameplay. Of course I have no clue how complicated it would be to implement such things.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Civilization V civics - Freeciv

Post by cazfi »

Yes, I've got some plans for a bit similar thing for a long time. Just have not found suitable slot for implementing it in any schedule (having time for it + it not clashing with other active developments in codebase etc) Unlikely to appear in 2.6, maybe in 2.7/3.0.
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

it is nice to hear it is being planned for some future version. How many developers are currently actively involved in writing code?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Define "active".

See https://www.ohloh.net/p/freeciv and https://www.ohloh.net/p/freeciv/contributors/summary

Yes, we could use more people in coding too (though I'm more worried about lack of art contributions - and more coders creating features requiring more art wouldn't help that)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Summary: Freeciv project is likely to slow down somewhat when I get paying work again.
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

well at least things are moving forward and in my opinion since it is an open source game it develops at a good speed. I am willing to contribute some gfx art if time allows me to. I am far from a pro but with practice while developing the nextended mod maybe I will learn something and eventually be good at producing gfx. Will browse the gna org to see what is needed from gfx stuff.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Just curious, but how much of this could be cobbled with the current version using some kind of small wonder system?