How do the paths to victory work on MP2 variants?

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
wieder
Elite

Re: How do the paths to victory work on MP2 variants?

Post by wieder »

Qrtv,

I would make and I have made public all the known winning strategies. It makes no sense not to publish paths to victory since that kind of culture only encourages keeping ideas secret and makes the games less fair to the new players. Secrecy isn't that good idea for a game such as Freeciv. Better to let the players to know the paths to victory. That way they can learn new ways to win. Stuff even the ruleset designers might not have thought.
qrtv10

Post by qrtv10 »

Wieder,

There are no known “metas” or meta-strategies in MP2d. There hasn't been a single winner in MP2d yet.

You also seem ignorant that MP2 strives to have very diverse ways to win, depending on context. If inbalances are found, the directive is to correct it, not chat about it here with people with a history of politically adversarial attitude toward us that isn't even interested in playing the ruleset.

You speak of secrecy but we strive to document everything about MP2d. Seems about 90% of contributions on the freeciv documentation site are MP2. So obviously FCW is far from a culture of secrecy. Interesting that there's not even an online manual for LT ruleset?

A manual isn't supposed to be a tutorial. A ruleset is a blank creative canvas. As games finish, we actively encourage participants to write stories about their game including their strategies. I wrote a tutorial for early phase of the game myself (older version of MP).

Suppose you speculated about a certain creative and effective strategy after looking at the rules. What would be the fun of publishing it before people get time to figure it out themselves? Or their own?

Q&A, coaching, and teaching of MP2 is actively encouraged among players in our community.

Please link to all known winning meta-strategies on LT?
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Qrtv,

I was assuming you know about the new paths to victory since you mentioned about the new paths to victory.

Speaking of documentation you have decided to go with very different route compared to many other implementations. While the usual way is to ship the documentation with the game your way is different since you use a separate site for that. Your manual is nice and maybe soon as complete as the one with the client.

Like I said, the fun is allowing the players to know how they can play. Talking about but not publishing the new paths to victory sounds very much like saying how there is this nice thing but we are not going to tell you what it is.

Then again. Currently it looks like lexxie already posted the winning strategy. Get 30 cities and then you can win. If not, then it's luck or no go.