configurable global warming

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
3plus4i
Veteran

configurable global warming

Post by 3plus4i »

Contrary to what I thought, pollution is an issue that leads to global warming quite quickly, if you don't deal with it immediately. How much pollution you can have relative to map size is hardcoded in the game though. What I realized now is that don't want to simply make pollution more severe by plain amount in my mod, but instead want to change the impact via effect. Currently, global warming is the primary threat of pollution, the impact on production is secondary. I would like to be able the invert that, so that you can configure the amount of pollution on the map before global warming happens. The effect of pollution on production and cities is already configurable via effects.

In principle I see two ways of doing that. The simple one is to make the basic variables configurable, which should be threshold for global warming and weight of a polluted tile.

The much more complex, but also intriguing alternative would be to change the mechanics. Currently global warming is a single parameter, that's only determined by the pollution in the current and last round. Not just would it make sense to extend this over a much longer period, but also turn it into a simple simulation of one or more factors, like CO2 levels, that also wouldn't need to be tied just to pollution. I didn't give this too much thought, since the simple solution would already be enough for my purposes, but it seems worth thinking about.
cazfi
Elite

Re: configurable global warming

Post by cazfi »

Yeah, I guess that's still not very configurable, but have you noticed globalwarming_percent server setting?

freeciv-3.0:

Code: Select all

> explain globalwarming_percent 
Option: globalwarming_percent  -  Global warming percent
Description:
  This is a multiplier for the rate of accumulation of global warming.
Value: 100, Minimum: 1, Default: 100, Maximum: 10000
3plus4i
Veteran

Post by 3plus4i »

I just noticed that, that's why I came here to comment. Can I somehow edit that option for an existing game? Just spent an hour to revert global warming damage in the editor, since I could not avoid it happening, with the changed rules. And the AI players have barely reached Industrialization yet.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

3plus4i wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:53 pmCan I somehow edit that option for an existing game?
On a running game:
So no, seems that's not changeable after game has started (not sure why - of course you can still edit it from the savegame hoping it does not break anything)
3plus4i
Veteran

Post by 3plus4i »

cazfi wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:34 pm Yeah, I guess that's still not very configurable, but have you noticed globalwarming_percent server setting?

freeciv-3.0:

Code: Select all

> explain globalwarming_percent 
Option: globalwarming_percent  -  Global warming percent
Description:
  This is a multiplier for the rate of accumulation of global warming.
Value: 100, Minimum: 1, Default: 100, Maximum: 10000
Does a larger value actually mean more or less global warming?
3plus4i
Veteran

Post by 3plus4i »

Been trying around and what stuck out to me is that the option affects the pollution percentage, but actually has no effect on the global warming risk. The intention seems to be that higher value means stronger effect from each polluted tile.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

3plus4i wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:06 pm Been trying around and what stuck out to me is that the option affects the pollution percentage, but actually has no effect on the global warming risk. The intention seems to be that higher value means stronger effect from each polluted tile.
Are you sure? I don't think there's "strength" for the environmental disasters. They either hit, or not. So those settings affect how much each polluted tile adds to the risk.