Can a landlocked civilization send land units to another continent?

Smallpox vs. largepox, gen2 vs gen5, early war vs. peaceful alliances. Which is your favourite gaming style?
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Can a landlocked civilization send land units to another continent?

Post by Corbeau »

You have asked a question setting the conditions that make "No" the only possible answer.

If you have a landlocked nation, you don't have naval cities. If you don't have naval cities, you don't have a navy and you can't have ships which are obviously crucial for reaching another continent.

If this was multiplayer, you could count on allies to carry your units. In singleplayer, I don't think it's possible to persuade AI to carry your units where you want them. I don't know if the AIs ever build transporters.

And that's that.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Well, if you are playing SPECIALLY for the goal "build a transcontinental empire with no single port"... AI allies pretty much like to jump into your boats, you can do the same to them if you plan smartly.
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

Ignatus wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:56 pm ... you can do the same to them if you plan smartly.
And I do. The trick is to look for a transporter (ship) that has just delivered a caravan.