Change startup options permanent

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Yumi

Change startup options permanent

Post by Yumi »

Am on Freeciv 2.6.6, Linux Mint 21. In "More Game Options" I can change the "List of players initial units from ccwwx to ccwwxx. But this change has to be made every time a new game starts.
Question: How can I make this change permanent? Looked at rulesets but can not find the settings. Managed it in LM20.3 but forgot how to do it :?
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon, Freeciv 2.6.6
Elefant
Hardened

Re: Change startup options permanent

Post by Elefant »

At the bottom of the more options screen, there should be a save button. Or you could change it in the game.ruleset file.
Civ 3 tileset: viewtopic.php?t=92953
3d Irrlicht desktop client development: viewtopic.php?t=92289&start=20
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Elefant wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:50 pm At the bottom of the more options screen, there should be a save button. Or you could change it in the game.ruleset file.
Just note that saving the settings on client-side has a number of known issues (unfortunately hard-to-fix-properly ones). You may find using .serv file better. (.serv is list of commands for the server to execute, and commands to set options are typical ones). You can create a .serv file from your current settings with "/write myfile.serv", and you can make the server to use it with "/read myfile.serv" or by commandline option "-r myfile.serv". The commandline option works also for the client, which will pass it to the server it spawns.
Yumi

Post by Yumi »

Thanks. I used the "Save" and the "Apply" buttons on the Options page. This saves the changes for the present games but forgets it afterwards.
Changes to the server-file :? . I found that the settings name is "startunits". But fiddling with the server-files without detailed instructions is more for the experienced user. I will look at it and try to understand what to do. If successful I will post.
Yumi

Post by Yumi »

Maybe easier than thought. Click on the file in /usr/share/applications/freeciv.server opens a terminal with a freeciv promp >
Type command >show lists all the available options and their present settings like this

Code: Select all

startcity                 +~ disabled
startpos                  +~ "Generator's choice" (DEFAULT)
startunits                +~ "ccwwx"
team_pooled_research      +~ enabled
teamplacement             +~ "As close as possible" (CLOSEST)
techlevel                 +~ 0 (0, 100)
The command >set "ccwwxx" adds an initial explorer. >help startunit lists all the available units