Problems registering from Microsoft email addresses (outlook.com, hotmail.com, msn.com, live.com, etc)

All about this Forum
JTN
Elite

Problems registering from Microsoft email addresses (outlook.com, hotmail.com, msn.com, live.com, etc)

Post by JTN »

Attempts to register for forum accounts with email addresses run by Microsoft -- at least @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, @msn.com, and @live.com -- are frequently failing. The forum activation email is never delivered to you (and ends up in my inbox).

For the moment, I can only suggest registering with an alternative email address, such as an @gmail.com one, if you have one. Apologies for the inconvenience.

This is because Microsoft's email servers apparently hate us. I don't know why. We don't appear to be on any public email blacklists that I've found, and I've no evidence our server has inadvertently become a spam source or anything. I'm not aware of such trouble with other domains. I've not found any concrete steps I can use to diagnose the problem further.

Code: Select all

<example@outlook.com>: host mx3.hotmail.com[104.44.194.232] said: 550 SC-001
    (SNT004-MC6F10) Unfortunately, messages from 88.198.45.220 weren't sent.
    Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network
    is on our block list. You can also refer your provider to
    http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. (in reply to MAIL
    FROM command)
JTN
Elite

Re: Problems registering from Microsoft email addresses (outlook.com, hotmail.com, msn.com, live.com, etc)

Post by JTN »

Thank you, I'd failed to spot that.

I poked that form, and now:
Our investigation has determined that the above IP(s) qualify for conditional mitigation. These IP(s) have been unblocked, but may be subject to low daily email limits until they have established a good reputation.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Problems registering from Microsoft email addresses (outlook.com, hotmail.com, msn.com, live.com, etc)

Post by cazfi »

There has been problems in forum's email delivery in general lately. I've got situation improved a bit (by not less than modifying the forum software itself - not just configurations). However, at least gmail seems not to accept our emails at the moment (well, at least I don't get emails to my own gmail account, while I can get them to another address)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

no0815 opened a ticket about this: https://osdn.net/projects/freeciv/ticket/45740

People with forum registration problems (and thus unable to comment here) should be able to comment on the ticket.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

After the latest changes, I don't see failing registration attempts from any other addresses than gmail ones.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:37 pmHowever, at least gmail seems not to accept our emails at the moment (well, at least I don't get emails to my own gmail account, while I can get them to another address)
There's a temporary fix to that in place now.