Can a landlocked civilization send land units to another continent?

Smallpox vs. largepox, gen2 vs gen5, early war vs. peaceful alliances. Which is your favourite gaming style?
samdef

Can a landlocked civilization send land units to another continent?

Post by samdef »

If my civilization is landlocked, how do I send my caravan or freight units to another continent? I am being disadvantaged by my lack of coastal cities, which is making it difficult to establish intercontinental trade routes. Do I have to bribe an enemy transport ship? Is that the only way? That sound incredibly expensive.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Can a landlocked civilization send land units to another continent?

Post by Corbeau »

Either make peace with your neighbours so that they let your caravan pass, or conquer your way out.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Corbeau wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:01 pm Either make peace with your neighbours so that they let your caravan pass, or conquer your way out.
For the first suggestion: but you can't let out a ship, and even if you make an ally, it's hard to catch a caravel in port and you can't command it where to go (it's about single player, right?) In fact, if the ruleset has triremes that can navigate rivers (or better conversible rafts that your caravan/settlers can carry between rivers), it's often a solution: develop the technology first, found a colony on an unoccupied island and spread by the ocean from it.
samdef

Post by samdef »

Corbeau wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:01 pm Either make peace with your neighbours so that they let your caravan pass, or conquer your way out.
Even if they let my caravan pass, I would still not be able to transport the caravan to another continent because I cannot build any ocean-going ships.
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

Maybe it should be possible to buy and rent units from allies. One way this could be done with ruleset changes would be to use the blank unit_city action. Make it so that a diplomat can, in a allied coastal city, do this action which would result in the cost of a lot of gold and the gain of a naval unit. I don't know how to make it so you can pick what type of ship you would get, though. At first, you would probably just make the action buy the best naval transport unit available at that time.
Civ 3 tileset: viewtopic.php?t=92953
3d Irrlicht desktop client development: viewtopic.php?t=92289&start=20
samdef

Post by samdef »

Elefant wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:16 pm Maybe it should be possible to buy and rent units from allies. One way this could be done with ruleset changes would be to use the blank unit_city action. Make it so that a diplomat can, in a allied coastal city, do this action which would result in the cost of a lot of gold and the gain of a naval unit. I don't know how to make it so you can pick what type of ship you would get, though. At first, you would probably just make the action buy the best naval transport unit available at that time.
That would be a great way to transfer military units to an ally. For example, to support them in a proxy war against an enemy.
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

If I remember correctly, you can transfer units to allies by sending them to a city of the ally and setting that city as the unit's home city. This would allow the purchase of units that the other player doesn't have. In essence, you would be contracting the industry in that city to build you a ship.
samdef

Post by samdef »

Elefant wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:54 pm If I remember correctly, you can transfer units to allies by sending them to a city of the ally and setting that city as the unit's home city. This would allow the purchase of units that the other player doesn't have.
Which version of Freeciv are you playing? In Freeciv 2.6.2, when I send a unit in an ally's city and open the "Unit" menu in the menu bar, "Set Home City" is blanked out.
Elefant wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:54 pm In essence, you would be contracting the industry in that city to build you a ship.
How does that even work when I don't have any coastal cities? Are you sure about this?
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

samdef wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:51 am
Elefant wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:54 pm If I remember correctly, you can transfer units to allies by sending them to a city of the ally and setting that city as the unit's home city. This would allow the purchase of units that the other player doesn't have.
Which version of Freeciv are you playing? In Freeciv 2.6.2, when I send a unit in an ally's city and open the "Unit" menu in the menu bar, "Set Home City" is blanked out.
If I remember right, it's already possible in 3.0 (latest stable release).
Elefant wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:54 pm In essence, you would be contracting the industry in that city to build you a ship.
How does that even work when I don't have any coastal cities? Are you sure about this?
It's just a wish yet, not an existing feature. Now all you can do is inciting the city and stop being landlocked. Or wait until airlifting time.
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

In 3.1, which already has a locked ruleset format, the hard-coded parts necessary to implement this are already in place. If you were to make a 3.1 ruleset, you could implement this feature and that ruleset would work for all subsequent 3.1 releases.