Repurposed graphics licensing (was Civ 2 Scenario League Graphics)

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
Elefant
Hardened

Repurposed graphics licensing (was Civ 2 Scenario League Graphics)

Post by Elefant »

http://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.ph ... gory:Units
https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/c ... eague.428/
I noticed that there are a lot of civ2 graphics on these pages, but I can't find a license. Evidently some of them must be license compatible with Freeciv, as much of Amplio and Amplio2 is based on them. Does anyone know if it is okay to use these for Freeciv, if not for the main distribution, then for mod-packs? (I am not on civfanatics or I would ask there myself)
Last edited by Elefant on Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Civ 3 tileset: viewtopic.php?t=92953
3d Irrlicht desktop client development: viewtopic.php?t=92289&start=20
cazfi
Elite

Re: Civ 2 Scenario League Graphics

Post by cazfi »

Elefant wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:23 pmEvidently some of them must be license compatible with Freeciv, as much of Amplio and Amplio2 is based on them.
For those that are in freeciv (as in freeciv.org, I don't speak for what forks have done), authors were explicitly asked to relicense (or "dual license") them for freeciv use (GPL2+).
Elefant
Hardened

Re: Civ 2 Scenario League Graphics

Post by Elefant »

I knew that. I meant that if the authors released some of their work for freeciv, maybe someone could compile a library of their units that can be used for modpacks and stuff.
Elefant
Hardened

Re: Repurposed graphics licensing (was Civ 2 Scenario League Graphics)

Post by Elefant »

Another possible source of graphics is opengeneral. They use oriented unit graphics similar to cimpletoon.
http://www.open-general.com/
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

Would it be possible for someone who is on civfanatics.com to see if the artists would release their work under gpl2 to get a large library of units for ruleset authors?
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

Realism Invictus (a mod for civ 4) has a license that sounds good. If someone could check the details and make sure that it is license compatible with freeciv, I could render a lot of units for custom rulesets.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Elefant wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:12 pm Realism Invictus (a mod for civ 4) has a license that sounds good. If someone could check the details and make sure that it is license compatible with freeciv, I could render a lot of units for custom rulesets.
Do you have a pointer to some other license text, or do you refer to this part of their main explanation (I spent whole 5 sec googling...)
We always felt our work to be a community effort, and as such we would very much like to give back to the community as well. Our mod has tons of stuff incorporated into it, and much of it can currently only be found in it - we'd like that to change. Releasing all the units, buildings etc. from the mod separately on CFC is not an option, not only due to the sheer amount of separate items but also due to the fact that our own involvement in its different bits and pieces varies greatly - from making stuff from scratch to redoing the textures and reshaping the models to even simply resaving stuff in a more efficient way (say, removing unused alpha channels in textures).

Therefore we urge you all to thoroughly pillage our mod for content. I can assure you, even if you already saw this particular unit/building/improvement/whatever on CFC, please take your time to compare, and in over 80% of cases, you'll find that our version has been improved in some aspect. You can use any of our stuff without asking, but it would be nice if you informed us, just so we can enjoy the fact our work is being appreciated by the community.
The overall problem with this is that much of the stuff is not their own, but something they got from the CFC community. So, they likely are not in a position to relicense it, if the content didn't already have a compatible license. And I'm not sure you can ignore all the mentions of CFC in that text - seems to me they are giving it to CFC community (under what ever conventions that community has), not that they are releasing it as Public Domain to entire universe.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Elefant wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:23 pmDoes anyone know if it is okay to use these for Freeciv, if not for the main distribution, then for mod-packs
That of course depend on the modpack in question. Modpack that is not GPL does not need to consist of GPL components ;)

I assume that you could release a modpack using Scenario League content on Scenario League (as you're allowed to reuse the content within that community)
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

As far as Realism Invictus goes, I was referring to the license.txt that comes with the mod. Obviously, not all the art in the mod is from the RI team, but any models where the mesh and texture are could be re-licensed. That is why someone would need to find out which meet that criteria and if the license permits their use.
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

For Scenario League graphics, I was hoping someone would get them re-licensed en masse instead of on a one by one basis, to compile a library of graphics that scenario authors can easily include, without having to worry about the license.