FCIV.NET announced!

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
AndreasR
Elite

FCIV.NET announced!

Post by AndreasR »

Here's yet another new Freeciv server to be played on: https://www.fciv.net/
The source code is available here: https://github.com/fciv-net/fciv-net

I will maintain this Freeciv server mostly for fun and as a sideproject to hack on Freeciv.
I plan on improving the 3d WebGL version in particular. There will be singleplayer 2D and 3D games, multiplayer, and no longturn games.
The source code will be available and contributions from others is encouraged!

The idea is to run FCIV.NET as an open source project and publish the source code on GitHub.

Last edited by AndreasR on Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wieder
Elite

Re: FCIV.NET announced!

Post by wieder »

It's great to have new sites for the people who want to play this wonderful game!
MikeDuk

Post by MikeDuk »

Cool!
Thanks Andreas.

As a side note:
I can't see the lines that connect the different technology branches. For example, I can't see which technologies are enabled after discovering Pottery.
The hotkeys that work for the city dialog on Freecivweb don't work here.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Yes, it's great to have a freeciv-web instance based on fresh version of freeciv's own freeciv-web (reference) implementation.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:31 am Yes, it's great to have a freeciv-web instance based on fresh version of freeciv's own freeciv-web (reference) implementation.
As we've slowly being bringing desktop freeciv and freeciv-web reference implementation network protocols closer to each other, server derived from our freeciv-web is also near-compatible with equivalent desktop freeciv.
That compatibility between desktop freeciv and freeciv.org freeciv-web is something that I will still be working on. You may want to keep your fork updated with such development.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

cazfi wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:34 pm That compatibility between desktop freeciv and freeciv.org freeciv-web is something that I will still be working on. You may want to keep your fork updated with such development.
What is remaining in order to have network compatibility between Freeciv-web and the legacy Freeciv desktop computer clients?

Fciv.net needs more players in order to sustain itself. Cazfi, can you please make a new section on the frontpage of freeciv.org where you link to the various AGPL compliant Freeciv-web instances?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

AndreasR wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:07 am What is remaining in order to have network compatibility between Freeciv-web and the legacy Freeciv desktop computer clients?
English is not my native language, but I don't think "legacy" is an accurate way to say "the full implementation from which freeciv-web is the stripped down version"
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

The idea is that the desktop computer clients are of a different technology era than the web clients which can be played directly in a web browser. Anyway, more can be done to make these two compatible with each other, so it's a question what can be done to make these two systems compatible. May I suggest that a first step is resolving the need of Fciv.net to get a link from freeciv.org to help boost the traffic.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

"...loosely based on Freeciv" - no mention, much less any link, to upstream freeciv-web. Also not created as a fork, but by pushing in everything as "First commit" - losing all the history (so nothing learned from the problems with missing history in the previous instances?)

Freeciv as such is mentioned in a couple of places, but I don't see any links to freeciv.org (e.g. arguably freeciv (server component) should be listed as part of the "stack")
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

cazfi wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:44 pm "...loosely based on Freeciv" - no mention, much less any link, to upstream freeciv-web. Also not created as a fork, but by pushing in everything as "First commit" - losing all the history (so nothing learned from the problems with missing history in the previous instances?)

Freeciv as such is mentioned in a couple of places, but I don't see any links to freeciv.org (e.g. arguably freeciv (server component) should be listed as part of the "stack")
This has been fixed now. The 'loosely' phrase has been removed, the reasoning for this was to allow for changes.

The Git repository was created from scratch because this will allow much faster checkouts, and to emphasize focus on the future rather than history. GPL and AGPL doesn't require git history. If some contributor wants credits that will be solved.

Links to Freeciv.org and Freeciv-web has been added now.

Do you see other specific changes I could do, in exchange for links from freeciv.org ?

On the bright side, I don't plan on rewriting everything in C++ and emulating the client in a browser, and I don't plan on exploring AGPL-loopholes by hosting the source code privately on Gitlab, like certain others are doing.