Freeciv-2.6 lifetime

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Freeciv-2.6 lifetime

Post by cazfi »

Development of freeciv-2.6 begun 1st of May 2013, eight and a half years ago, when the previous version, freeciv-2.5, was branched away from the master development branch. First stable release of freeciv-2.6, 2.6.0, was released 21st of Jul 2018, three and a half years ago.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Currently we have no plans to make further releases (2.6.7) from S2_6 branch, but I do still push select fixes to the branch, just in case, at least in cases where the fix made for 3.0 applies to 2.6 without any modifications. Those fixes are available at least to those people who build freeciv themselves, from S2_6 HEAD, and will be available in 2.6.7 release if we ever make one for any reason.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:There might be reason to keep 2.6 series alive overlapping 3.0 series even longer than what the overlap has been with earlier branches, if there's many users who can't (because of increased requirements) or want (don't like changes made to 3.0) to update to 3.0 series.
On this vein of lesser requirements of 2.6; I recently noticed that the there has been a new AmigaOS release just a year ago, and out of curiosity wanted to test if the portability of our build system is good enough for (cross-)compiling freeciv to that OS. I don't have hardware to test, and it's unlikely that anyone will ever use what I produce, but the portability problems fixed in the process may benefit other environments too. I don't know if any of the clients (sdl/2 is probably the only one with any hope) can be built, but server doesn't seem to bad. Anyway, it's definitely harder to fulfill requirements of freeciv-3.0 than freeciv-2.6, so I'm working on this on 2.6 at first, and will start tackling additional challenges in freeciv-3.0 only once it works.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:46 am Currently we have no plans to make further releases (2.6.7) from S2_6 branch, but I do still push select fixes to the branch
No plans of a release, but I'll do another Windows msys2 snapshot build soon. (I don't plan to do any msys1 builds any more)

Previous build was made in March: https://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.p ... &start=108
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:46 pmNo plans of a release, but I'll do another Windows msys2 snapshot build soon.
New build made. https://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.p ... &start=108