Networking error

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
Masadow

Networking error

Post by Masadow »

Hello,

I launched freeciv-web for the first time in a single player mode. It asked me for an username.

After that, it seems I'm in a waiting room but I have an empty error dialog box entitled "Network error" with an empty content.

Here is the message logged into the javascript console : "WebSocket connection to 'ws://play.freeciv.org/civsocket' failed: Unexpected response code: 400"

Thanks,
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Networking error

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Assuming that the Response codes are HTTP response codes, 400 means that it's a client error. That's all I know, I don't know much about freeciv-web.
~ AVL
Masadow

Post by Masadow »

Yes, but I'm using the latest version of Google chrome.

May i am missing something ? Do I need any installation to run HTML5 stuff ? I never had to so I don't think so
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

I don't think so, but as I said, I don't know much about freeciv-web. We'll have to wait till AndreasR sees this.
~ AVL
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Hi Masadow,

I'll need some more information about your system and network to be able to figure out how to fix this.
Based on the error message it seems to be network related. You don't need to install anything to run HTML5 games.

In particular, which version of Google Chrome are you running? I'm running version 30.0.1599.101 m of Google Chrome.
Also, which operating system are you running?
Do you get the same problem if you try running Freeciv-web in another browser, such as Internet Explorer or Firefox?

Could you tell me something about your Internet connection? Are you connecting through a HTTP proxy or firewall?
Sometimes HTTP proxies or firewalls can cause connection problems.

Does other websocket games work correctly for you, such as http://rumpetroll.com/ ?

By the way, here's some statistics I'm collecting about the number of running games on http://play.freeciv.org/stats/

Andreas
Masadow

Post by Masadow »

Hi AndreasR,

I'm using "Version 30.0.1599.101 unknown-m" of Google Chrome under Windows 7.

I tried on Firefox but my browser is too old to support HTML5 so it crashed.
I tried Internet Explorer and I had the same problem as Google Chrome.

I'm not behind a proxy or a firewall. However, I'm using my phone as an hotspot.

Rumpetroll didn't work either :(

Finally, what should I do with these statistics since I can't run a game ? ^^

Thanks ;)

EDIT: I think this will be usefull for you => http://websocketstest.com/result/266953
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

The problem is probably that you are using your phone as a hotspot. What phone are you using? iPhone?

Your test result shows that your network doesn't support websockets: WebSockets (Port 80) No

This is my test-result, where WebSockets works: http://websocketstest.com/result/267010
Masadow

Post by Masadow »

So this must be the hotspot.

I'm using a HTC Desire under Android 4.x
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Masadow wrote:So this must be the hotspot.

I'm using a HTC Desire under Android 4.x
Okay, then the problem is either the hotspot functionality of Android 4.x, or your mobile service provider. Are you running the latest Android 4.4 KitKat relase? Perhaps you can report this
as a bug to the Android developers? Are you able to run Freeciv-web directly on your mobile phone browser?

WebSockets seems to work for you on the SSL port, 443, but I'm not sure what it would take to make Freeciv-web work on this port. Also, SSL might be slower than regular HTTP on port 80. If there is a lot of interest for this, I might try it out.

Thanks for reporting this bug Masadow.
Masadow

Post by Masadow »

Hi,

Same error on my mobile. I'm using version 4.0.3 but I will try to update my phone as soon as possible.