Trade with friendly nations through the sea and "Opium War"

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
jpsm
Veteran

Trade with friendly nations through the sea and "Opium War"

Post by jpsm »

A problem that I had recently is that a ship can't enter a frontier (even in water) of a nation in peace, armistice, or cease-fire without declaring war first because it is considered as an invasion because of it I can only maintain internal trade and trade with enemy nations, all foreign trade is trade with one enemy nation because the others I can't circumnavigate their shores before declare war first. I propose that somehow should be possible to establish a trade route with a friendly nation through sea. I propose that in future versions of the game the ais or the human player add a clause in the treats to allow ships to circumnavigate the other territory as long as only non-military units (caravan is a non-military units for example) disembark through these ships and if military units disembark or attack cities the treat is broke.
https://ibb.co/L6b1t6y

PS: This is weird because in real life trade is usually maintained between friendly nations and not enemy nations. Make war to have the right to trade historically is something that happens only with illegal trades, If it was a drug trade such as the opium war it would make sense but usually the caravan ask me to sell goods when he go to the foreign [enemy] city.
It seems that the game ruleset assumes that you would only circumnavigate foreign territory to wage war (surely this can be a very realist reason under certain circumstances) but sometimes it is trade.
It would be nice to establish normal trade with friendly nations through the sea and it would be an interesting feature.
Make war to have the right to trade is a bug that can be transformed into a feature if in future versions the technology hallucinogens drugs be introduced (but this technology should only be introduced if some other technological mechanism be introduced as a defense to counterbalance) but both types of trade ideally should not be confused.
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Trade with friendly nations through the sea and "Opium War"

Post by Ignatus »

Only military units can't enter peaceful borders. The problem is that in most rulesets early ships (before the naval units are split on transporting Galleon and attacking Frigate) are military. There are rulesets with merchant ships but they are not commonly known.