Ruleset stability in S3_0

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
chippo

Ruleset stability in S3_0

Post by chippo »

I want to help the development effort by playing the game and reporting bugs. I'd also like to use a different ruleset to the default that I've always used before.

I considered civ2civ3 ('cos there's lots of documentation for it) and sandbox and webperimental ('cos they both received updates this morning).

I tried civ2civ3 and found a bug (which I reported http://www.hostedredmine.com/issues/854983) which prevents all progress after you are only 10% of the way through the game. (I LOVED civ2civ3's differences and improvements, and when the bug is fixed, I'll play that again.)

I'd like to play a ruleset (on the latest dev codebase) and have a good chance of getting 70% of the way through game, before bugs make it unplayable. It would also be cool if it were different ruleset to the old default one.

Any recommendations?
cazfi
Elite

Re: Ruleset stability in S3_0

Post by cazfi »

That Bug #854983 is unlikely to affect S3_0. My guess is that it's related to unit loading/unloading action enablers that are in master only.
chippo

Post by chippo »

cazfi wrote:That Bug #854983 is unlikely to affect S3_0. My guess is that it's related to unit loading/unloading action enablers that are in master only.
Oops, my bad. I must re-look at a git primer and learn how to know what branch I'm building.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

git checkout S3_0

Since you are looking for something new I should warn that webperimental is based on classic and sandbox is based on civ2civ3.
chippo

Post by chippo »

sveinung wrote:git checkout S3_0
Tx. The primer actually led me to:
git checkout remotes/origin/S3_0
And my version string is now 3.0.0-alpha3+.

My real problem was with thinking that the version string 3.0.92-dev was under the S3_0 branch. Luckily when I reported the bug, I used the version string, so I don't need to edit that bug report.
sveinung wrote: Since you are looking for something new I should warn that webperimental is based on classic and sandbox is based on civ2civ3.
civ2civ3 is new enough for me, now that it's probably working fine. I want to give it a proper playthrough with S3_0 and when I've finished it at least once, I'll reconsider sandbox and webperimental, based on your kind info and how I feel.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

chippo wrote:And my version string is now 3.0.0-alpha3+.
Since you are building from git checkout, you may want to configure with --enable-gitrev that includes exact git commit id to the version string.
chippo

Post by chippo »

cazfi wrote: Since you are building from git checkout, you may want to configure with --enable-gitrev that includes exact git commit id to the version string.
So it is! I'm now using v3.0.0-alpha3+ (41e42cbc47).
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

chippo wrote:
sveinung wrote:git checkout S3_0
Tx. The primer actually led me to:
git checkout remotes/origin/S3_0
That (checking out remote branch directly) leads you to 'detached HEAD' -state, I think. So 'git pull' won't work like it should. Check out local branch like sveinung said.