A naval diplomat

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Ignatus
Elite

A naval diplomat

Post by Ignatus »

What about allowing at some point (e.g. Navigation,Player+MarcoPolo(GW),World) a unique naval diplomat? This is possible even in 2.5, your diplomat must be just on a native tile to act, so a ship with "Diplomat" flag will be able to bribe ships in the sea or incite ports while it is not in a port itself. The unit can be rather precise and spent for diplomatic actions, so not a really great imbalance; just one will have to keep a pair of diplos in ports to avoid one-turn invasion if an adversary has enough money, and the rule "put your Dreadnaught one tile into the sea from a rich retard and it's a safe shorekeeper" will not always work.
Wahazar
Elite

Re: A naval diplomat

Post by Wahazar »

I already have some unique units with spy ability and Marines flag in my modpack, but the only on-board working option is city investigation.
Not sure if it is hardcoded in 2.6, but maybe it is not bad at all. Revolting cities without landing is maybe too powerful.
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
sveinung
Elite

Re: A naval diplomat

Post by sveinung »

Wahazar wrote:I already have some unique units with spy ability and Marines flag in my modpack, but the only on-board working option is city investigation.
Not sure if it is hardcoded in 2.6, but maybe it is not bad at all. Revolting cities without landing is maybe too powerful.
I had a quick look at your ruleset. Your action enablers for the missing spy actions only allow them when the actor unit is OnLivableTile. There are no paralell action enablers permitting those actions when not OnLivableTile if the actor unit has the Marines flag. Do you want the Marines flag to "magically" allow an action from a non liveable tile? Enable the action again for Marines like 3.0 does for the "Attack" action.

Edit to add more details: Click here to see how 3.0 does it. Note how actionenabler_attack_marines is a copy of actionenabler_attack_native except that

Code: Select all

"UnitState",    "OnNativeTile", "Local", TRUE
replaces

Code: Select all

"UnitFlag",     "Marines", "Local", TRUE
You can do the same for any enabler controlled action to make Mariens work for it.