Three Feature Requests (Quick Hits): Diplomacy Enhancements

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
tgwdnghn

Three Feature Requests (Quick Hits): Diplomacy Enhancements

Post by tgwdnghn »

Feature Request 1: In the messaging window, when the AI (and players?) engages in diplomacy, their nation should appear in addition to their name.

For example: *Octar (AI)* Greetings neighbor, may we suggest more peaceful relations?

could be enhanced as

*Octar (Hunnic, AI)* Greetings neighbor, may we suggest more peaceful relations?

Obviously this information is available in the Nations window, but since a lot of us know who our neighbors and enemies are by nation, this saves us time by potentially eliminating the need to check the Nations window to see who the ruler is.

Feature Request 2: In the diplomacy window (where you negotiate treaties and whatnot), to the right of the nation flags should be a square denoting the border color (as shown in the Border color of the Nations window). Many of us know our neighbors and enemies by color, so this also helps save time by potentially eliminating the need to check the Nations window.

Feature Request 3: In the nations window, include a column for (at least) how many cities the nation has (or is known to have). I don't know if this requires an embassy or contact or whatever, but it suffices to say that if you can request a city in the diplomacy window, it should be counted and included in the count.
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Three Feature Requests (Quick Hits): Diplomacy Enhancements

Post by Ignatus »

1 - totally agree!
2 - maybe, or just write the name in the color. Well, you are supposed to remember the nation by name and know world's flags, the game is supposed to be kinda educative... Although, some of flags for nations long gone IRL are mostly pure fantasy...)
3 - displaying the actual number of cities is not the way Freeciv is played, you have to explore the map by playable means. Maybe your newly met neighbour is expansionist owning a great continent, maybe the city you have found is all that they have (but, well, you can see their score and treasury). There can be an effect of a wonder (like The Internet in civ2civ3) that shows you all the cities. Also, all known cities can be found in "go/airlift to city..." dialog. What I would like to see is a screen of traderoutes grouped by city and nation (e.g. titled points in colored frames connected with lines of different thickness) to see how valuable the trade with each neighbour is for me.
tgwdnghn

Post by tgwdnghn »

Ignatus wrote:2 - maybe, or just write the name in the color.
Well, color names can be ambiguous (some people disagree on names for colors or don't know the relatively obscure names for relatively obscure colors), especially since so many of the colors used are very hard to distinguish when there are a large number of players (I play with 50 at a time).
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

tgwdnghn wrote: Well, color names can be ambiguous (some people disagree on names for colors or don't know the relatively obscure names for relatively obscure colors), especially since so many of the colors used are very hard to distinguish when there are a large number of players (I play with 50 at a time).
I mean, letters/backgroung of the name of the ruler should be the color of the nation. Yes, with 50 players it's hard to avoid ambiguous colors. Maybe, use different line patterns (dashes, dash-dot, dots...) for borders of close colors? (And underline the name so in the dialog, and somehow show it on F3 screen).