unitwaittime: a pairs of ideas to soften it

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Ignatus
Elite

unitwaittime: a pairs of ideas to soften it

Post by Ignatus »

1. Resume the action that was blocked by unitwaittime at turn start a short while since it's over. That requires an iteration over all units per pulse, but nothing too difficult to do.
2. There are days when some players can play only for several hours. If there is the turn change within this interval, they effectively have to lose the turn. Additionally to the previous idea, we could deal with it using (a) simple server-side unit task lists like "Go to tile, start mining it"; (b) exceptions from unitwaiitime for certain users on certain dates, publically agreed several turns before.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: unitwaittime: a pairs of ideas to soften it

Post by Corbeau »

There was a lot of discussion on the Longturn Discord server(s) about this. Zoltan has already made some patches, but I'm not sure anymore which exactly. I think that now we have a unit-work-time. This means, if it's 10 hours, if a worker starts doing something 1 hour before TC, it will finish 9 hours after TC. So, if it's a road, there will be no road in the first 9 hours of that turn.

There was also talk about stacked orders, but I do't think anything was done about it.

There were also ideas about Empire Wait Time: if you move your unit before TC, the Wait Time is in action for ALL your units. Very restrictive in my opinion, but it could be set to 1 hour simply to discourage near-TC actions.

Another idea (mine) was Tile Wait Time: if anything happened on a tile before TC (unit entered or work started), nothing belonging to a player who did the action can enter that tile while Wait Time is up. However, the idea wasn't met with enthusiasm.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
madmax
Veteran

Post by madmax »

Aren't stacked orders available since... well, long ago? The unit-orders packet contains an array of orders, directions and targets. I don't know what support there is for that in the client, I think I once heard the Qt one had full support, but if I'm not wrong the connect by road/irrigation/etc are done that way, telling the server "this unit has to build road, move north, build road, move north, build road, end".
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Yes, likely, they are, just not yet in Gtk clients.