Defence against cruise missiles?

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
petroglyph

Defence against cruise missiles?

Post by petroglyph »

In the classic ruleset, is there any city-based defence against Cruise Missiles?

SAM Batteries, SDI and the presence of various combinations of "unkillable stacks" (Spy + Stealth Fighter or Bomber + Mechanized Infantry) inside a city does nothing to stop them. Worse yet, in every simulation the missile destroys something totally unpredictable, whether a unit or infrastructure.

Also: leaving the city and attacking non-veteran Cruise Missiles with airborne units, even other Cruise Missiles, always fail. How can it be that there is a defence against atomic weaponry but not this?

Seems silly OP to me, but if there's a solution please someone share. Thank you!
louis94
Hardened

Re: Defence against cruise missiles?

Post by louis94 »

In the classic rules, AEGIS cruisers should help for coastal cities. Land cities can't be protected AFAIK.
petroglyph

Re: Defence against cruise missiles?

Post by petroglyph »

louis94 wrote:In the classic rules, AEGIS cruisers should help for coastal cities. Land cities can't be protected AFAIK.
That's ... kind of crazy. Jeeze, there are a lot of problems with the classic ruleset. (My opponent and I prefer to use the multiplayer setting; it was an accident that we ended up using classic.)

Still, hope springs eternal. Is anyone out there who might know a land-based defence against cruise missiles?