Art, worth it?

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Art, worth it?

Post by Corbeau »

Ignatus wrote:
Corbeau wrote:But also, another thought: in some cases it is realistic to use same graphic for different, but similar units. Simply, when you click on a unit, it reveals all necessary information. This can emulate the real-life situation when you get reports of an armoured column advancing toward your city, but you actually have to use effort
Sorry, but with this passage I can't agree, at least until something changes in related game mechanics. You can play as you like in single-player or in a close circle, but in web games everything that is sent in a packet should be comfortably represented to a normal player; otherwise, minor modification in the client to fix it (the server sends graphic tags once and then sends directly unit types, you can in theory overwrite the tags at ease) is an option that makes one who uses it to feel like a cheater and one who does not to feel like a lokh; Iwould not like to be either.
Ah, very good point. Thanks.

But, this only means that my idea is abusable due to mechanics, not that it's bad ;)
Last edited by Corbeau on Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

If you can finish these I will help with the .spec`s. The dev`s will then have no excuse.
Cool, trident is definetely done, amplio needs some work but its possible in a near future.
Good idea with these charts, I need to make similar ones (I arranged it in different way in my modpack)
Ships are debatable, too long initial chain, they should be split into trireme class, capable to ride river/shallow sea, and regular ships.
Agreed, the list is too long. They must have different specialties besides more movement and transport space.
Only other idea I can think of for now is bringing back the chance of loosing the ship when at high sea/deep water for early ship types.
That said, it's possible that I came on too strong and I would just like to express my gratitude to XYZ for doing this.
No worries, I know you are very critical but I always see the constructive elements in your comments!
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

XYZ wrote:
Hello. Speaking of needs, I have a need for a few units :)

That post has some outside context, if you're not interested, skip to the other half where units and their functions are listed.

Would it be possible to do something like that?
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Hello. Speaking of needs, I have a need for a few units :)
Cavalry Archers
There are sprites for that. I even modified a Samurai on horse. One with a bow and one with a sword. Only an Amplio Samurai archer is missing but consider it done if you ask me.
Saboteur
I have emissary sprites but I could make you a more "wild" looking guy if you want something more tribal.
Bowmen
I got an arbalest. It looks more distinctive or you need a bowman?
Riverboat
Unfortunately I got none although the steamer looks like one. VladimirSlavik did them a while ago. Or you need extra sprites?

Anyhow, just send me a list of units you need and I will see what I can do but the Amplio and Trident templates I made contain plenty so check them out before.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

I did check them. You do have plenty units that are more advanced, but I need the backward tribal-looking ones. The ones I'm concentrated the most are Bowmen and Riverboat. The problem is that current Horsemen and Warriors would fit the purpose I have in mind perfectly, but I can't get them to function as blockers for, say, Knights, so that Tribal doesn't get Knights. So I need a different unit.

Or maybe have a "different" unit that is the same as Horsemen, only different by name... But still, could use a different image for "Tribesmen" or something, with 2/1/2 or 3/1/2.
--
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

In my modpack there are couple of river boats, from raft to steam or diesel barges, but these are repaints from openttd project, and they doesn't fix well into freeciv look&feel.
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Wahazar wrote:In my modpack there are couple of river boats, from raft to steam or diesel barges, but these are repaints from openttd project, and they doesn't fix well into freeciv look&feel.
If I got it right, that Aak looks like something I had in mind.
--
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Corbeau wrote:If I got it right, that Aak looks like something I had in mind.
It even fits better for your needs than mine, because this graphics is not a real Aak, I just adopted it from here: https://freeciv.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Other_ships
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

I did check them. You do have plenty units that are more advanced, but I need the backward tribal-looking ones. The ones I'm concentrated the most are Bowmen and Riverboat. The problem is that current Horsemen and Warriors would fit the purpose I have in mind perfectly, but I can't get them to function as blockers for, say, Knights, so that Tribal doesn't get Knights. So I need a different unit.

Or maybe have a "different" unit that is the same as Horsemen, only different by name... But still, could use a different image for "Tribesmen" or something, with 2/1/2 or 3/1/2.
Well, have you tried the tribal ones from Ngunjaca and ancient from GriffonSpade?
Attachments
units-Ampliohexbig.png
Tribal Units All.png
Tribal Units All.png (18.56 KiB) Viewed 7333 times
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Oh, nice! Thanks!

I presume there is no particular magic with adding a unit image into the tileset? Just add the image into the main .png and add the unit name with the corresponding coordinates in the units.spec?
--